Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 11.10.2019, 11:12 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I think the perceived standalone quality and clarity of the algorithms in isolation, such as the oscillators, filters and effects, et al, are more important.

You can have all the polyphony in the world, but if the algorithms are sterile added unison/poly won't make it sound any better, it'll just end up a cacophonous wall of noise.

Even with the Virus, cranking up the poly can make stuff sound convoluted. Dialing back the poly/unison brings back clarity.

Less really can be more.

I look forward to hearing other demos.
Old 11.10.2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I think the perceived standalone quality and clarity of the algorithms in isolation, such as the oscillators, filters and effects, et al, are more important.

You can have all the polyphony in the world, but if the algorithms are sterile added unison/poly won't make it sound any better, it'll just end up a cacophonous wall of noise.

Even with the Virus, cranking up the poly can make stuff sound convoluted. Dialing back the poly/unison brings back clarity.

Less really can be more.

I look forward to hearing other demos.
For me, poly and unison aren't necessarily intertwined (except in the sense that more unison = less polyphony). Note-stealing is just one of my personal peeves I guess. If I want a release of a certain duration on a given part, I don't want the CPU deciding to short circuit the note because it ran out of resources. Yes, too many notes with too many long releases can muddy each other up, but from a musical standpoint I want my ears to make those decisions, not compute resources.

Unision is the "fatness" of the sound, and yes sometimes less is more. But in terms of poly, to me stealing of notes is never a good thing. Physical instruments like pianos or guitars do not have polyphony limitations, and it's always been a downside of the digital age that synths do. 128 actual voices, with zero chance for contention is a pretty good selling point for a synth.
Old 14.10.2019, 11:29 PM

I'll try to add demo vids that have been created since the unit's release as I come across them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlgiJMnWwe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RETtniQCKs

Last edited by MBTC : 15.10.2019 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Adding another link
Old 23.10.2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I'll try to add demo vids that have been created since the units release as I come across them:
This one is a welcome link to add to the collection --it makes use of 6 parts of the Kyra at once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTBtfYE1yzE

I also think to some extent it showcases the genre where Kyra or Virus really excel.

For me, my own music making has been leaning toward darkwave/synthwave/retrowave etc for the last few years, so my Prophet Rev2 16 voice is my go-to keyboard. Honestly if I bought another synth right now it would likely be a second Prophet Rev 2, because I haven't owned a synth that's more inspiring, or more completely meets my needs since the Juno 106 .... but I'm still eyeballing Kyra for a potential future purchase, and I also think it will be interesting to see if its entry into the market prompts Access to release an updated Virus.