The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   TI inputs are not balanced (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=34673)

charonme 28.04.2020 07:33 AM

TI inputs are not balanced

even though the TI manual and the access support claim that the inputs are balanced, my TI2 desktop inputs are not balanced

(the product brochure and official tech specs don't say anything about this topic)

test it like this: plug a stereo signal into the left input and check whether your virus receives a signal on the right channel even though there's nothing connected into it. If it does the input definitely isn't balanced

(a side effect of this discovery is that the left input socket is in fact a regular TRS stereo jack input - I don't think this is documented anywhere)

Michael Vilogi 16.08.2020 07:09 PM

hmm i need to check this out on mine

oli@bass 20.08.2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charonme (Post 307272)
even though the TI manual and the access support claim that the inputs are balanced, my TI2 desktop inputs are not balanced

I didn't find any reference to balanced connections in the manuals (Quickstart, Reference) but in the brochure, and there it is only for the outputs.

charonme 04.04.2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli@bass (Post 307294)
I didn't find any reference to balanced connections in the manuals

page 50 "Introduction"
Code:

"External audio signals can be processed via the balanced analog inputs..."

Timo 07.04.2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charonme (Post 307272)
test it like this: plug a stereo signal into the left input and check whether your virus receives a signal on the right channel even though there's nothing connected into it. If it does the input definitely isn't balanced

Mmm, think your theory is flawed. On balanced connections, one signal is inverted from the other and they're summed at the other end to cancel out any noise or inteference picked up along the way. Even though it looks like a stereo cable/jack, they don't carry a stereo signal, it's still monophonic.

I believe the Virus TI is effectively dual-mono balanced inputs (for an overall stereo signal when using both inputs), not dual-stereo balanced inputs. A single stereo jack input on TRS would still be unbalanced, anyway.

Quote:

(a side effect of this discovery is that the left input socket is in fact a regular TRS stereo jack input - I don't think this is documented anywhere)
Balanced connections also use TRS sockets, they're still each monophonic, unless it's switchable in the software. I don't have a full TI (only a Snow), but I read there are 4 input sensitivities for the TI's inputs. If indeed you can use just the left input as an unbalanced stereo input I bet the option would be selectable there.

charonme 08.04.2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo (Post 307399)
On balanced connections, one signal is inverted from the other and they're summed at the other end to cancel out any noise or inteference picked up along the way. Even though it looks like a stereo cable/jack, they don't carry a stereo signal, it's still monophonic.

Yes I agree, that's exactly what I said is based on. So what do you think the flaw is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo (Post 307399)
Balanced connections also use TRS sockets, they're still each monophonic, unless it's switchable in the software. I don't have a full TI (only a Snow), but I read there are 4 input sensitivities for the TI's inputs. If indeed you can use just the left input as an unbalanced stereo input I bet the option would be selectable there.

on my Ti2 desktop the left input ring is hardwired to right input tip normalisation, it's not done in software. When nothing is connected to the right input the left input works as a regular stereo input