The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Virus C sounds better than ti2? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=32368)

Barnelby 20.08.2010 10:51 PM

Virus C sounds better than ti2?

So I am very pleased with the functionality of the TI2 and all of the capabilities of the total integration interface, but after watching videos of the C in action, I'm a little discouraged in how much more authentic it sounds right off the bat than the ti2. I did a little googling and was surprised to see how many people said the C sounds more authentic than the TI series... :(

Being so new to the virus community, I'd like to know some opinions of some experienced virus users about the difference in sound quality between the two and if there is any way to make the TI2 nail the authentic quality like the C does? I'd hate to learn I just spent so much money when I didn't have to/need to? :confused: :confused:

FSTZ 23.08.2010 02:58 PM

I have a C and a TI polar and believe me when I tell you...

you didn't waste your money

the only reason my c would sound better is because it is using the 1/4" inputs on my sound card giving it a little more volume than the TI that is using the USB

but I can easily use the 1/4" inputs for the TI, I just dont

Timo 23.08.2010 03:54 PM

I'd check out FSTZ's advice first.

You wouldn't believe merely how increased volumes makes things tend to sound 'better'. It's a known phenomenon.

marc 24.08.2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSTZ (Post 297379)
I have a C and a TI polar and believe me when I tell you...

you didn't waste your money

the only reason my c would sound better is because it is using the 1/4" inputs on my sound card giving it a little more volume than the TI that is using the USB

but I can easily use the 1/4" inputs for the TI, I just dont

that's wrong. it has been explained elsewhere many times why the USB outputs are not as "hot" as some other plug-ins. the sound though is the same, independently of the level.

best, marc

Storm Music 25.08.2010 02:14 PM

Well,
I have a Virus Indigo (B), which is just quite f****** up after years of touring, so I bought a Virus TI2.
I must say, I'm quite disappointed.
The sound is not as clear as on the B (don't know about the C though).
It's like the TI2 has a boost around 1 khz or so compared to the B and also it just don't come out of the speakers as much as the indigo.
Apart from that, the keyboard is better on the indigo, and really, the computer integration is just to slow and lagging to be of any use...
At least for me this is totally un-inspiring.
Actually, I'd rather record my indigo the old fashioned way...

EDIT: Plus: It seems the sounds of the TI2 really lack or miss attack.
I'm having a hard time programming stabs or plugs with the attack I want.
For instance, I've been trying to reproduce som atmosphere (spectrasonics) sounds on the TI2, but I can't get near the attack...

It's great for pads and fx, but hey, it's too much money for just that...

Pschelfh 26.08.2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Music (Post 297391)
EDIT: Plus: It seems the sounds of the TI2 really lack or miss attack.
I'm having a hard time programming stabs or plugs with the attack I want.
For instance, I've been trying to reproduce som atmosphere (spectrasonics) sounds on the TI2, but I can't get near the attack...

It's great for pads and fx, but hey, it's too much money for just that...

I suspect that's because you use the Virus USB connection also for audio, there's a few msec. of latency on it just like on any USB or firewire soundcard.

Use the analog outputs on the Virus to get your attack back! ;) Everything seems to sound a bit fuller (or maybe just louder?) when it passes through the Virus D/A converters.

Use the USB connection for midi only.

Peter.

sacredgeometry 01.09.2010 03:20 PM

I agree with most of the things said, the reason your sound might seem weaker is just related to the lower volume, you can get the exact same sound by boosting the volume. If you really don't like this then just use the outs on the back, there doesn't seem to be any negative difference in the sound coming out of the line outs on a ti compared to any other virus.