The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   Studio equipment (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   TI Snow and Waldorf Blofeld (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=29400)

Juho L 14.01.2008 12:25 PM

TI Snow and Waldorf Blofeld

Everyone has probably seen TI Snow already, but anyone heard about Waldorf Blofeld? It shares the same concept as TI Snow - A mini box with a mini price tag (atleast I except the TI Snow to be cheap).

That Blofeld goes for 400€. Considering the specifcations it easily has the best price/quality rate around. Anyone heard rumors about the price of the TI Snow?

IamEvil 14.01.2008 07:24 PM

virus snow is on DV247 for just over £800

Onkel Dunkel 14.01.2008 08:46 PM

With a price tag of 400€ the Blofeld sure looks nice. I am considering buying one allready :D A couple of years ago i was very close to buying a second hand Microwave XT for about the same price. Good thing i didn´t...

Robbins 14.01.2008 09:31 PM

A big difference between the Blofeld and the Snow is the Total Integration. Well you do get an editor but you cant integrate it with your Daw like the Virus.
Blofeld has a bigger display which is more animated though.

Onkel Dunkel 27.01.2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbins (Post 279968)
A big difference between the Blofeld and the Snow is the Total Integration. Well you do get an editor but you cant integrate it with your Daw like the Virus.
Blofeld has a bigger display which is more animated though.

Another big difference i that Blofeld has no audio input. Also it has no MIDI out so sending data from the unit has to be done by the USB port.

Anyway i don´t have a wavetable synth and the size of both the price and the actual unit made want one so i ordered a Blofeld today :D They should be able to ship next week...

Timo 27.01.2008 09:47 PM

Excellent! :D Would love to hear what you make of it when you get it.

F5D 07.03.2008 08:59 PM

I got a blofeld two weeks ago. I recommend it. The lcd is really nice and the synth has all the waldorf's digital features built in. Incredible value for money. The sound is typical waldorf but the new fx and other features make it more versatile. Even the preset sounds are alot better than waldorf usually have had.

Onkel Dunkel 08.03.2008 01:15 PM

Argh, stop talking about it. I´m still waiting for mine that i ordered about a month ago from musicstore.de. They keep pushing the expected delivery date. Last news is that i had to wait until start or middle of march but still nothing. On their webpage it´s now week 13 and on thomann.de it says they are not able to deliver before 30. march :( I want it NOW dammit...

Onkel Dunkel 27.05.2008 05:55 AM

Ah, finally got it. Found a new dealer that could get it faster. He told me that Waldorf has 4000 units in backorder and that´s why there´s so long waiting times. His next delivery is in 2 months :confused: Well anyway the Blofeld sounds amazing. I haven´t had much time to get in depths with it yet but until now i´m inpressed. Maybe i´ll post some samples when i get time. A couple of anoying things (not very anoying but a bit) is:

- There is a multi mode but can´t save multis like on the virus. You have to select new patches when going to a new song. Maybe not a big problem when using a sequenser but if you plan on using it live you better bring a sequenser to change those patches for you between songs...

- The manual says that part 1 is MIDI ch. 1 and part 2 is MIDI ch. 2 etc. but what if i want to layer sounds? I have yet to find out if this is possible (of course there are workarounds ;) ).

- Every parameter is changed with encoders. Sometimes when making fine adjustments it would be nice to be able to step up and down with buttons.

- Allthough the display is BIG and very informative and surfing through menus are a childs play i do miss some more knobs.

- Besides that the output volume is very low even though i have the newest OS that should fix this. Maybe a later OS...

Of course all of this can´t bring down that you get a fantastic synth for 400€ and because of the size of it (i thought it was small in the pictures) it fits into every leftover space on your desk. Nice going Waldorf :D

Shambler 04.07.2008 12:00 PM

I'm getting sorely tempted by Blofeld too, especially as I can some in stock ;)