The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about music (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Any ideas on what music will sound like in 100 years time? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24847)

DIGITAL SCREAMS 25.11.2004 08:11 PM

Any ideas on what music will sound like in 100 years time?

I wonder if there will be such a thing as music. Theres only so much variability to be had from 'instruments' before music starts to sound too experimental/unmusical. When I listen to Vangelis (BladeRunner soundtrack)...I kinda feel thats how music will develope. It will become wierd :)

DS

jasedee 26.11.2004 06:28 AM

The music industry is a fashion industry.....

As with fashion, trends seem to have a cycle, like at the moment, alot of wankers wearing sweat bands a la Bjorn Borg and pat cash (Tennis players from 80's.....) and then all the girls wearing stupid 80's shit aswell.

Anyways, so yeah, music comes and goes with different styles, like different fashions.....and yeah, more 70's style rock bands coming out at the moment too..

Im sure music will get wierd, but generally, the pop industry will always follow trends etc, and dictate trends too, delivered by front men and pinup girls like Beyonce and J-Lo etc

Blank 26.11.2004 07:29 AM

THe question is what is the definition of music?

1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony
2 a : an agreeable sound : EUPHONY <her voice was music to my ears> b : musical quality <the music of verse>
3 : a musical accompaniment <a play set to music>
4 : the score of a musical composition set down on paper
5 : a distinctive type or category of music <there is a music for everybody -- Eric Salzman>

That leaves it quite open for suggestion....

peace
Blank

DIGITAL SCREAMS 26.11.2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasedee
As with fashion, trends seem to have a cycle, like at the moment, alot of wankers wearing sweat bands a la Bjorn Borg and pat cash (Tennis players from 80's.....) and then all the girls wearing stupid 80's shit aswell.

Huh! How dare you!! Tell me where those girls come from I'd like to meet 'em! :P

DS

DIGITAL SCREAMS 26.11.2004 01:17 PM

Perhaps music is infinitely variable but we dont have the brain capacity to deal with it yet. I mean....we use the same kinda structure on alot of tunes. The reasons are obvious as to why.......but you know....if you spent 30 yrs making experiemtnal tunes mainstream....then it might in itself progress 'music'

Good points Blank......I dont know the answer!

DS

jasedee 26.11.2004 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Tell me where those girls come from I'd like to meet 'em!

Mate....they're bloody everywhere!!!! It's like a plague here in Sydney

DIGITAL SCREAMS 26.11.2004 09:50 PM

Deport them back to the UK....I dont know why we ever got rid of them!

DS :lol: :oops:

Blank 26.11.2004 10:38 PM

DS dont get too greedy...Ill come visit you can pass a couple my way :wink:

peace
Blank

Juho L 27.11.2004 08:45 AM

Like Jasedee said, recycling. Of course some production methods and technology will develop, but it won't affect the basic structure of music.

But if we start to think like scifi-heads then there could be a device that would interact with brains directly delivering totally new kind of musical experience. But that's very likely not possible.