The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   Studio equipment (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Digital desks (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24362)

303lovesit 31.03.2004 05:57 PM

Digital desks

Whats everyones view on digital desks?

Got the yamha o1x and have noticed the tracks sound a hell of a lot diffeent but do people actually prefer digital sounding desks?

Or do you prefer an analoge souning one?

Views please?

303lovesit 13.04.2004 01:11 PM

Yeah thats what I thought :roll: :wink:

303lovesit 13.04.2004 01:57 PM

Ok I tell you wht I think not to sure if its Digital I think its MLAN I mean though its digital data when u got say 3 stereo imputs plus about 8 ins and out traveling down one cable you must lose quality!!!

To me it allmost takes that live fat sound away and replaces it with an over clean crappy thin digital sound!!

I really just cant make freinds with it so for me Im going back to my roots lol!!

Surely there must be views on this when everything seems to be going either digital or virtual!

View welcome :D

Timo 13.04.2004 06:21 PM

I don't know much, but when I get a desk it's going to be an old analogue one, something second-hand but still decent and well looked-after. Like an A&H GS3, or Soundcraft Spirit Studio or (albeit more expensively) a Ghost, or somesuch.

Apparently the Mackie DB8 sounds terrible.

picato 13.04.2004 07:46 PM

My personal opinion: Digital desks are really good, but not the cheap ones for home recording purposes... I suggest putting that money on a decent audiocard with lots of ins and outs instead. If you also got a really good computer and some nice plugins you don't need the eq and effects on the desks either, and you get much better audio quality. But it's really nice with hands on experience though. a mixing desk is nicer to work with. Some years ago digital mixing desks served an important purpose: they handled a bit of the effects that regular computers then didn't have the power to do.
So my opinion is that with the computers of today, you don't really need a digital mixing desk. I would have spend that money on the computer and software instead. If you search for the hands on experience you could also get a midi controller desk to mix with your sequencer program, if you use one of course.

Tomer=Trance 13.04.2004 07:48 PM

dump the desk and get a good sound card with in &out expantion box
midiman, creamware or rme,also try esi
very nice price and i heard its good

Hollowcell 13.04.2004 11:30 PM

I have always liked the sound of Analogue EQs.

I think to get a good Digi desk, the money you have to spend is crazy, but to get a nice sounding Analogue desk with sweet EQs is much more affordable.

If I was thinking about spening the money for a cheaper Digi desk, I would rather buy a multi-in and out sound card.

303lovesit 14.04.2004 11:20 AM

For me this is such an important topic to touch up on because i really think i should just get a 10 in 10 out soundcard! which one I dont know but well up for some opinions!!

I mean do people like myself really need a mixer when i do everything in SX and add all my reverbs and compression with plugs etc!!

The O1X had an on board soundcard/ audio interface which looked lovely but really didn't like the sound of atall just like I said it sounds almost to fake and thin shitty bitty sound!!

So then I was really thinking of sending it back and getting a beasty yamaha desk but really do I need one I think im gonna have to go with some of you guys and just get a really good soundcard and have no mixer atall! and with the change get a nord and get some more ram!!

Do you think eventually dance music without live instruments and live percusion/ vocals will need mixers?? :roll:

Also last thing whats the power core sound card like? read in to it but does anyone have one on here?? would like to heard view on this thanks!!!

Sorted geeeeezerzzzz :D :D

Drammy 14.04.2004 12:21 PM

Timo - whereabouts in England are you?

Reason being - I am thinking of selling my Soundcraft S200B delta desk.

PM me if it is of interest to you.

Drammy 14.04.2004 12:24 PM

303lovesit -

Quote:

I mean do people like myself really need a mixer when i do everything in SX and add all my reverbs and compression with plugs etc!!
Not in my opinion you don't - A good soundcard would definately do the job (see your other post in the Gen. discussion forum for my response).