The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   T1 owners and users, just how bad are the bugs with the os? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=26595)

aisling 12.02.2006 03:49 PM

T1 owners and users, just how bad are the bugs with the os?

I'm dying to buy a virus. I have starved my kid, wife and cat. Laundered enough $$$ from our household budget and am ready to make the plunge........

While I use virus powercore as an efx plugin, I began to hear discord on the powercore forum......
http://powercore.noheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=1451

Besides the new shiny models with the new features, etc......considering the highbrow sounds of the virus, just how bad are the bugs?
Is it worth the $$$

I need a real analog modeling synth and it's between the nord/access
access seems to be ahead of the technology curve with usb/control surface, etc.....

which access, the Polar, or the Keyboard would be a better live/studio device. The halfwits at the music stores here in the US of (about to bomb iran into the stone age) of A, never bothered to go to the access booth at namm, and I can't stand bullshit from a sales guy....

If I have decent midi controllers can I use a desktop version live?

thanks. :D

Drammy 12.02.2006 04:00 PM

Works well in my set-up (PC, Asus P4P800 MB, with 2.8GHz (HT) processor, 2 Gb dual channel DDR400 memory and RME interface).

One thing that I was not aware of before I bought it was exactly what systems Access say the TI is compatible with. This is not an issue for me as I have Cubase SX3, but it won't work with Nuendo (apparently), and many more...

I would certainly recommend checking the compatible systems before buying.

Other than that I am looking forward to the current grail of OS (1.1, currently at 1.09). It should be due for release very soon now... But I can work quite happily with it as is.

Some might say that I am lucky though!

aisling 12.02.2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drammy
Works well in my set-up (PC, Asus P4P800 MB, with 2.8GHz (HT) processor, 2 Gb dual channel DDR400 memory and RME interface).

One thing that I was not aware of before I bought it was exactly what systems Access say the TI is compatible with. This is not an issue for me as I have Cubase SX3, but it won't work with Nuendo (apparently), and many more...

I would certainly recommend checking the compatible systems before buying.

Other than that I am looking forward to the current grail of OS (1.1, currently at 1.09). It should be due for release very soon now... But I can work quite happily with it as is.

Some might say that I am lucky though!

Which access are you using? and do you play it live/real time, or pre program your midi just so you can automate/modulate?

Khazul 12.02.2006 04:46 PM

My advice on this is dont get hung up on the non musical features (ie the integration stuff.

Go for which you most like the sound of (assuming your are a original producer and not a cover producer).

The bugs are an irratation when they occur, but I am hell of alot more productive having a synth that I love the sound of vs an NL3 which was the alternative I was considering last year when I ordered the TI. TBH - I just couldnt get into the Nord sound, though I do sometimes which the TI had its brightness.

How much you get affected does seem to depend upon how stable you workstation platform is. Some people seem to have terrible problems, which I have very few that cant be sorted by pushing a buttoj somewhere.

If you are an old school hardware type and have a very hardware orientated way of working, have a tendency to make alot of use of hardware patch bays etc , then you may find the assumption made by Access about how people will use the TI rather annoying.

If you involve from the swamp that is software - then you might vefry much welcome those same assumptions :)

aisling 12.02.2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khazul
My advice on this is dont get hung up on the non musical features (ie the integration stuff.

Go for which you most like the sound of (assuming your are a original producer and not a cover producer).

The bugs are an irratation when they occur, but I am hell of alot more productive having a synth that I love the sound of vs an NL3 which was the alternative I was considering last year when I ordered the TI. TBH - I just couldnt get into the Nord sound, though I do sometimes which the TI had its brightness.

How much you get affected does seem to depend upon how stable you workstation platform is. Some people seem to have terrible problems, which I have very few that cant be sorted by pushing a buttoj somewhere.

If you are an old school hardware type and have a very hardware orientated way of working, have a tendency to make alot of use of hardware patch bays etc , then you may find the assumption made by Access about how people will use the TI rather annoying.

If you involve from the swamp that is software - then you might vefry much welcome those same assumptions :)

Great feedback, why did you purchase the keyboard over the polar? I initially wanted the keyboard (semi weighted keys etc) but got thrown off by reviews saying the polar was a superior model. Maybe this is hyper inflated crap becuase access has more polar models in inventory to get rid of?

Khazul 12.02.2006 05:20 PM

I wanted the TI keyboard to also serve as my main controller keyboard when the remote mode gets implemented.

I also like semi-weighted keys, dont like little keyboards (my desk bound remote 25 is an exception as thats just hand to have closeby on the desk).

I was going top say I dont just produce trance and so need to stretch of more than 3 octaves, but actually even with pads and arps I'll tend to use spread voicings alot rather than just rely upon hypersaws or octave shifting to make them sound fat. Spread voicings can rapdly make 37 keys seem very cramped :)

aisling 12.02.2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khazul
I wanted the TI keyboard to also serve as my main controller keyboard when the remote mode gets implemented.

I also like semi-weighted keys, dont like little keyboards (my desk bound remote 25 is an exception as thats just hand to have closeby on the desk).

I was going top say I dont just produce trance and so need to stretch of more than 3 octaves, but actually even with pads and arps I'll tend to use spread voicings alot rather than just rely upon hypersaws or octave shifting to make them sound fat. Spread voicings can rapdly make 37 keys seem very cramped :)

VERY WELL SAID.........one of the shameful tragedies of the trance genre (as a whole, excluding pioneering innovators) is the inability to modulate voicings.
I am actually a guitar player first and formost, and rely on voicings a lot. I got into being an electronica composer/producer (not pro) by defualt. I just got sick of the "fluff pop/cock rock/gansta rap/emo" that has been shoved at us since the early 90's. At least here in the good old US (about to bomb iran into the stone age) of A

solconnection 12.02.2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aisling

VERY WELL SAID.........one of the shameful tragedies of the trance genre (as a whole, excluding pioneering innovators) is the inability to modulate voicings.
I am actually a guitar player first and formost, and rely on voicings a lot. I got into being an electronica composer/producer (not pro) by defualt. I just got sick of the "fluff pop/cock rock/gansta rap/emo" that has been shoved at us since the early 90's. At least here in the good old US (about to bomb iran into the stone age) of A

is there anything particular to look up theory wise in regards to modulating voicings (as searching for voicings/modulation in any combo didnt really give me any results)

im trying more and more to get into the theory and this sounds interesting

have a nice day
-Dan

Drammy 12.02.2006 08:28 PM

I use the TI keyboard.

Up until now I have always had rackmount synths and used controller keyboards but I feel claustrophobic when playing, so I went for the whole hog.

I play the music live into the sequencer and record, never gig. I then touch up and automate in the sequencer.

Spread voicings? Khazul, would you care to elaborate - I've never heard of this, not sure if I use a different term or if it is a new technique - is it just layering?

Drammy

The girl next door 12.02.2006 08:32 PM

I was wondering just out of interest.Can you load Ti soundsets/Patches into the Powercore virus?????