The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   Trouble with your Access Virus? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   !!Heres how to update patches or reset virus.!! (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=29117)

sike 22.08.2007 05:10 PM

!!Heres how to update patches or reset virus.!!

1/ Get this instead of that poxy soundiver :-

Freeloader v2.0

2/ Make sure your hi page and lo page settings are set to systex in virus. Make sure your global channel and device channel is set to number 1.

3/ Make sure your correct midi ports you want to use are set up in freeloader.

4/ Browse to the midi file containing the data you want to send within freeloader.

5/ Press play!!!!!

6/ Play with ya virus all night and grin a bit :)

*****Important remember not to switch off or unplug any leads while you are transmitting data.

I hope this helps all you poor guys out, ive been fuming all week until i sorted my virus out today. Let me know how y'all get on!

[Edit: Corrected URL/link.]

sike 22.08.2007 05:13 PM

Maybe this could be a sticky mods? A hell of a lot of people seem to come here for this answer....

Drammy 25.08.2007 05:44 PM

Stuck, thanks Sike.

queglay 08.10.2007 01:35 PM

that alesis link doesn't seem to work for me.

Timo 08.10.2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queglay (Post 278607)
that alesis link doesn't seem to work for me.

I've edited his post, so the link works now.

Thanks Sike!

miguel-z 14.05.2008 08:54 PM

Hi

I have just buy a virus b. I want to load OS and all patches, to
erase previous owner's work. After reading the manual and this
thread, I set midi channel to 1, device id to 1, memprotect off.
My virus is version T. I play "first_bt_490x049.mid" using midi ox.
Everything seems ok, the data seems to be loadings. At the end,
the display says "Recv. last bank 15". I push "store", but nothing happens.

Can you help me?

BTW, the link to alesis web is broken again.

Thanks in advance,

Miguel

AlexHall74 14.05.2008 10:33 PM

All, I contacted Access support about this issue a few years ago. Their recommended application for loading MIDI files into a Virus (for Windows platform) is Windows Media Player (WMP). I have used WMP several times to load banks of presets as well as a new OS and the 1024 bank update for the C-series. I have also used WMP to load banks of presets on my JV 1080 successfully. I hope this helps you all out as it does not require a link of any kind to the Alesis site if you already have a working PC.

;)

-Alex

miguel-z 15.05.2008 02:07 AM

It works! Thank you very much!! :-))

erolz 31.12.2008 11:17 AM

Freeloader PC and MAC versions here:
http://www.midiworld.com/quadrasynth/qs_swlib.htm

sutok 01.01.2009 07:29 PM

Only thing you dont mention is putting the virus in update mode. As the manual only specifies this for loading the os from one virus to another (in the virus c manual) i think its worth adding this step?

I didnt get this immediately and spent a lot of time scratching my head getting nowhere in standard mode!

stigma2 25.01.2009 09:25 AM

I'm trying to update my Virus C with the 1024 sounds, but I always got the same messege DSP-Ram Failed.

Do I have a defective Virus C or am I doing something wrong ? any clue as why this happens ?

mizzleman 09.04.2009 03:57 PM

Is it only me who have problems transferring soundsets i bought from the pc over to the virus c desktop?

Tried that Freeloader thing, and both hi and low are set to sysEX

johnwally 19.04.2009 02:04 AM

Great tip ,I could not get the midi files to open in Ableton live 7 and they worked well in WMP thanks a lot ,
ps This site seems to have a lot of know it all people .

Thanks for helping out ,I didn`t find the manual all that clear and when the OS on your virus is really buggin out like mine was , it was near impossible .
But now she`s running sweet ,Cheers

Computer Controlled 10.05.2009 06:34 PM

I just got a Virus A, and cannot update the OS. It's on 2.1 and i'm trying to update it to 2.8. It just won't receive any of the MIDI messages i send it. I'm using Bohm's SendSX. I can see the MIDI OUT led flash on my interface, but the Virus just sits there waiting... I'm totally lost as to why it won't load the OS.

Computer Controlled 10.05.2009 07:44 PM

I got it workin. OS 2.8 rockin solid.

Firebolt 25.07.2009 11:09 AM

Sysex communication error

I tried using the Sounddiver virus. It worked for the first 15 preset and then the message showed up : Sysex Communication Error. Virus C didn't respond.
How do i change the sysex (Hi lo ) on my virus? I can't find it. And why did it work for the first few presets?
Thanks in advance,
Firebolt

CeeRock 04.10.2009 03:00 PM

Cubase 4 with Virus C

Quote:

Originally Posted by sike (Post 278274)
1/ Get this instead of that poxy soundiver :-
http://www.alesis.com/index.php?id=58,43,0,0,1,0

2/ Make sure your hi page and lo page settings are set to systex in virus. Make sure your global channel and device channel is set to number 1.

3/ Make sure your correct midi ports you want to use are set up in freeloader.

4/ Browse to the midi file containing the data you want to send within freeloader.

5/ Press play!!!!!

6/ Play with ya virus all night and grin a bit :)

*****Important remember not to switch off or unplug any leads while you are transmitting data.

I hope this helps all you poor guys out, ive been fuming all week until i sorted my virus out today. Let me know how y'all get on!

[Edit: Corrected URL/link.]

Hi, I'm having trouble updating patches to the C. I followed the steps in the manual and in your post.
Is the best way to upload patches to
1. Turn on all TX, RX, and Global midi channels to 1 (since thats what I use).

2. Set hi page and lo page settings to systex

I import the .midi file into a midi track in Cubase and click play in the sequencer, absolutley nothing happens on the Virus LCD.

The person I bought it from was able to do it on Ableton so I know it works, Just not sure if Cubase can perform the same task. Is freeloader or sound diver necesarry to upload patches?

I hope I don't sound like I'm asking for too much. I'm used to VST synths, first time working with external midi! :)

CeeRock 11.11.2009 03:40 AM

If anyone knows of a video out there that explains updating patches on the virus c that would be great.

CeeRock 03.12.2009 09:58 PM

SySex, Sound Forge, WMP

What kind of program do I need and where do i buy it from to Update patches, Can I update patches in Windows Media Player?

otan 22.03.2010 04:43 AM

Opensource Sounddiver replacement for OS-X (Virus C tested)

On Mac OS-X you can use to upload Patches and the latest OS:

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian

Just adjust the speed in Preferences for the "Pause between Played Messages" to a speed the Virus C accepts. I used it successfully . I just don't remember the exact speed, but try 350 msec or slower.

Good luck
olcun

Disclaimer : "Use this on your own risk"

maunga 23.03.2010 03:57 PM

All the above

sorry guys

tried it all, but all of the above didn't work.

I, also, keep getting the "recieved 15" message ...

any other ideas to update my virus C to OS 6.6?

so far I tried:
- windows media player
- Sonar 8 (at various speeds)
- Alesis-thing
- other midiplayers
- switching to update mode

it recieves stuff, but doesn't update
mm

mrkeeny 06.04.2010 01:18 PM

OS Update

Hi All, I am at my wits end. Been working on this for days, tried everything in all previous posts.

All config settings correct. Indigo v1 / Windows7, tried doing it from Cubase5, Reaper, MidiOX, Media Player, Soundiver and numerous other apps.

The device starts receiving but only up to a seemingly random number before stalling completely. Sometime it will only go up to 1, other times 101. (no setting changes)

My best results thus far have been with sequencer and 200BPM tempo. It definately seems to be linked with speed. 200BMP I can consistently get upto 80 - 100.

Do any of you remember what you did in past to get this working? help MUCH appreciated!

psyentist 06.06.2010 08:31 PM

Success solution

I have a Virus Indigo II. I have tried all recommendations so the only thing that worked for me was putting the synth in receive mode ( hold store while turn on )

and then using the Aleisis tool. at the end of transmission it asked me to save it so i hit store and it did a few writes and was done.

psyentist 06.06.2010 08:33 PM

MAUNGA : use the alesis tool along with putting the synth in receive mode.
the combo worked for my C and I was getting the same results as you.

maunga 24.06.2010 05:16 PM

Thanks psyentist

psyentist: thanks, that actually worked for me!

definitely a smily this time!

maara 23.10.2010 08:11 AM

Hi all,
I am happy that I found this thread and realized that I am not the only one who has a connection problems with a Virus C.
I am running osx 10.6 and windows xp in virtualbox just for virus proposes..
The connection is made by Edirol UM-1ex (usb to midi interface)
I have set Hi and Lo profiles to sysex and rx and tx to enabled.
My Virus C is running OS 6.6 which was uploaded from Logic without any complication. The problem is, when I want to upload some new banks or patches I got from the internet - the virus shows the SE icon on the display but usualy does nothing else so the patch is not received or it finishes with message lie Sysex checksum error or something like this. I tried stuff like sysex librarian in osx, midi quest XL, sound diver in windows etc. but all the mentioned programs were able tu dump/get data from virus (patches, banks...) but not able tu upload.
All other midi in communication (midi note, midi cc and everything else) is working well...
I am despite because I have rely no idea what to try next and how to get a single patch to my virus :-(

Could anyone help me please?

many thanks!!!!

slb 25.08.2011 12:09 PM

Hey, I just did an OS update for the first time so I thought I'd share my experiences just in case it's of help to anyone.

I was using my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Tried with and without engaging Receive Mode. I tried the following:

- MidiOX MIDI player (including pissing about with SysEx settings)
- that Alesis Freeloaded software in this thread
- Reaper at various BPMs (actually had more luck at higher BPMs, 180-200 seemed to get me the furthest)
- Windows Media Player once I figured out how the heck to route MIDI output in Windows 7 (downloaded an app, will try to remember where I found it if anyone's curious)
- switched over to my Mac to try SysEx Librarian with many combinations of data rates, pauses between transmissions, etc.

All of the above had the same result - the Virus received some blocks then (usually) just froze at a certain number, normally between 0-50 for the less reliable methods I tried and 50-80 for the better ones; or gave me "Incomplete Block" or CRC errors.

Finally (it was about midnight by then, I'd been at it since after I came home from work apart from a short break to visit my friend in hospital -fun evening overall!) decided to try a different MIDI interface: my Novation X-Station. Tried that with SysEx Librarian on the Mac with only a few ms between transmissions and it went absolutely fine. I didn't retry with any other apps as I was pretty keen to get to bed by then, but I got the impression the above methods probably would've been fine too through the X-Station.

My conclusion/tl;dr: Some MIDI interfaces have it, some don't. Seems like the more expensive Focusrite can cut it in terms of sound but Novation must've nailed tighter MIDI.

ackzz 15.01.2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexHall74 (Post 281826)
All, I contacted Access support about this issue a few years ago. Their recommended application for loading MIDI files into a Virus (for Windows platform) is Windows Media Player (WMP). I have used WMP several times to load banks of presets as well as a new OS and the 1024 bank update for the C-series. I have also used WMP to load banks of presets on my JV 1080 successfully. I hope this helps you all out as it does not require a link of any kind to the Alesis site if you already have a working PC.

;)

-Alex

Is there any settings to change/configure in wmp?

microluv 24.01.2015 01:08 AM

Has anyone been able to load an OS onto a virus b, from a virus a.
I am not getting any sound and when I try to load the OS from logic. Trying my fireface400 and a Yamaha ux-16 midi usb. Sending at various speeds it gets to the end and asks to store. I hit yes and it says dsp-ram error.
I know midi in and out works and tested.
I get zero audio from any output. Checked in settings too.
Help??

facecontrol 17.01.2016 07:41 PM

Hello guys, hope you can assist on this one as well.

I just picked up a used Virus B (OS 1.5) and trying to load the latest OS from a mac using sysex librarian.

I have followed all the instructions on the first post and tried 2 ways to do this with no luck yet, getting different error messages immediately when I start sending the sysex data from the librarian.

1) when NOT in update mode I receive an error message which says the following: sysex with illegal function

2) when in update mode ( holding store when starting up the virus ) it says: Checksum error! Reception Failed

I've tried using different speeds in sysex librarian in 'preferences/general/pause between played messages' but to no avail, any input would be greatly appreciated !!

SteveOakley123 19.08.2016 12:48 AM

So Like many others I was going crazy trying to get the OS to update. I had done everything recommended with settings in the B and in SysEx Librarian and Logic. The unit showed SE in the top left so I knew it was getting data... it just wasn't getting *good* data.

In this case I was using a USB->MIDI adapter from eBay. most of these appear to all be the same, at least as far as the cheap ones vs what appears to be the same unit with a brand name on it. It works fine for regular midi things - I can play something on my sequencer to soft instruments on the laptop just fine.

I spent many hours messing with settings in SysEx with no luck.

Then I got a Tascam 20X20 USB interface with MIDI on it... ok... lets try that ?

Well the Tascam MIDI interface worked perfect with SysEx on 2nd try. I had to get the correct port selected, and set the packet delay interval to 350ms. I left the interface on full speed. It took quite a while for it all to upload, but the B counted segements and packets. When it completed, hit STORE, and it did its thing writing the OS into the Flash ROM. Booted up to 4.9 and all seems happy.

So the problem may not be your software at all... but your MIDI interface. I suspect the USB -> MIDI adapter was doing something bad to the SysEx data somehow which the Tascam didn't. I know buying a brand name new MIDI interface or I/O device isn't what you want to hear, but you can always borrow, go to a friends place, etc and try out different MIDI hardware on the computer side.

js516k 19.08.2016 04:01 PM

The single cable midi/usb adapters have tiny buffers which cannot cope with sysex and high volume CCs.

Stay away from them.8)

Peter heard nz 18.01.2017 12:05 AM

Hi all, I uploaded a video here with instructions on updating the os of a virus c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mLJ-ZUM58. Also find a link for written instructions in the comment, cheers,
Peter