The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   help with EDIT BUFFER / MIDI RX (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24467)

clubbed out 01.06.2004 06:12 AM

help with EDIT BUFFER / MIDI RX

Hi everyone....

i love my virus, but its really starting to be a huge pain from how difficult it is just to load sounds / organize.

I have given up on any kind of of synth librarian program altogether.

I don't even really need it....

So all i want to do is just to load sounds through sysEX...

I CANT get this to work for the life of me....

heres what im doing...

I got my echo layla connected from midi out to midi in of the virus...

I load a .mid file into logic and stick it in one of the virus instruments tracks.

I make sure to select "force to edit buffer" in the midi dump RX system menu.

i get out of the menu and back to orignal display of whatever patch is selected, my A0 patch for example

I make the bpm about 5.

I hit play, I clearly see that the virus is recieving data from the blinking icon.

Now, as far as i know, the sounds are sequentially being written and overwritten to the edit buffer....

HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO HEAR / SEE WHAT SOUNDS ARE BEING LOADED INTO THE EDIT BUFFER?

as logic is playing, i hit stop and hit a key, all i hear is the sound of my A0 patch.....

how do i audition and store these sounds from a .mid file....

if someone can help me get this, i would consider them nothing short of a lifesaver......

Thanks

Juho L 01.06.2004 07:32 AM

I believe that if you play the bank dump in slow enough tempo, you should be able to pick the individual patches by stopping after each patch. I don't know though why it doesn't receive the patch in the edit buffer. Try to change the tempo of the dump (try really low tempos).

Hollowcell 02.06.2004 12:16 AM

As juho said set the tempo of your sequencer to a really low tempo (eg: 3 or 4 BPM), then set the virus to force to edit buffer (pg 118 of the VC manual).

Load a normal midi sound bank file into your sequencer, press play on your sequencer, then once you see a patch name pop up on the virus, press pause on the sequencer - play the patch - if you like it - save it, if you don't - press play on the sequencer again and wait for the next sound to pop up on the Virus screen.

Hope that helps.

clubbed out 02.06.2004 08:52 AM

well,

i am playing it on 5 bpm already,

and the prob is, the patch name never pops up.....

do you think it could be an actual prob with the virus?

how can i even tell?

Juho L 02.06.2004 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clubbed out
and the prob is, the patch name never pops up.....

do you think it could be an actual prob with the virus?

Make a system reset for your Virus. Check your manual for instructions. I don't remember what buttons you had to hold while powering up your Virus. LFO1 Shape + ?... But anyway it's in your manual. Make that reset and then try again.

Hollowcell 02.06.2004 11:17 PM

Have you had any trouble loading in OS updates or the extra patches update?

Sounds like it may be a setting with-in your sequencer, but it's hard to tell from here on this side of the web. I've never tried a system reset before (as Juho mentioned), but it could help - don't know enough about that to be sure though.

The only things I can tell you is;
Make sure you have the Virus set to Force to edit buffer.
Check that your sequencer is sending sysex.
Disable out going clock.

Good luck!

clubbed out 05.06.2004 07:02 PM

a system reset, will that change any of my patches? or will everything be the same?

Thanks

clubbed out 28.06.2004 06:50 AM

hollowcell,

do you know how to disable outgoing clock on logic 5?

i don't even know what that means

THANKS!

Hollowcell 28.06.2004 07:07 AM

Sorry mate, I use Cubase so I wouldn't have a clue in logic.

Just look for a midi/midi sync menu option somehwere.

What "outgoing midi clock" means is, the sequencer will send out midi clock signals, so your equipment will sync in time with your sequencer. It mentions in the manual to turn this off on your sequencer when doing updates and the like to your Virus.