The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   Trouble with your Access Virus? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Quantized notes sound un-quantized (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=29383)

seantyas 08.01.2008 01:24 PM

Quantized notes sound un-quantized

had the virus ti a while now but only starting to really try to use it more.. and more and more i notice, that when i play, say straight 8th notes OR 16th notes, its not exact 16th notes.. the note timing is 100% ALL OVER the place.

I have the latest os 2.5.1 and am running on logic 7.2.3 on a mac pro.

anyone else experiencing this?

IlMolto 13.01.2008 06:27 AM

Hey,

How badly is your Virus out of time? I have a Virus C and have been experiencing the same thing. MIDI playback is a little sloppy with a noticeable delay...

Only difference is I'm using Cubase 4.1.

IlMolto 13.01.2008 06:28 AM

By the way if you're really Sean Tyas, I love your work ;)

seantyas 27.08.2008 10:25 AM

hahhaha yep its me :) THANK you man!!!

i am debating to try this beta 5 os

Timo 27.08.2008 05:00 PM

The latest beta is appearing to get a lot of thumbs up.

I think Access will release a final release soon.

marc 27.08.2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seantyas (Post 279860)
had the virus ti a while now but only starting to really try to use it more.. and more and more i notice, that when i play, say straight 8th notes OR 16th notes, its not exact 16th notes.. the note timing is 100% ALL OVER the place.

I have the latest os 2.5.1 and am running on logic 7.2.3 on a mac pro.

anyone else experiencing this?

if you use Virus Control something goes wrong, the timing is supposed to be "perfect" since all the notes are time stamped and not arrive in a sequential fashion like it would using midi.

i'm not sure if logic 7 and the newer mac pros are good friends, all i know is that the new 8 cores are a challenge for most developers of realtime applications (which would include virus control). so give beta 5 a try, it might help, from the top of my head we improved several things which will only show their ugly face on multi-core systems.

hth, marc

seantyas 16.09.2008 02:33 PM

ok check out the attached mp3...

each pluck is just 2 notes, PERFECTLY quantized but sounds like its played live

http://www.seantyasmusic.com/access

paulkeeley 13.12.2008 05:09 PM

i've had the same issue here - i use my virus primarily in standalone midi mode, as i can't stand to work with even the slightest bit of latency.

i've taken the issue up with access support in the past. the issue seems to be when i'm using complex patches (anything but standard saw/pulse).

i tried a comparison test with a dry unfiltered sawtooth, and the timing was rock solid. i then tried some hypersaw, and the timing went completely off.

so, long story short - if any of the oscillators in a patch are set to anything but "classic", you can say bye-bye to timing. i'm not sure if this is the same case for the C line or earlier, but it has driven me to the brink of insanity on many occasions.

what i usually end up doing is layering a vst-i with similar settings (where applicable) underneath the virus to thicken things up and ensure that at least something is playing back spot-on cue. seems to work well enough. still frustrating, especially since my nord wave is bang on all the time. different architecture, obviously, but bad timing is not something you'd expect in a high-end piece of gear.

hope that helps. happy head-bashing!

paul.

Totty 16.12.2008 10:01 AM

I've been having the very same issue on my TI Polar - latest OS 2.7.5 OSX 10.5.5 8 Core Mac Pro Logic 8.02.

If i fire off complex patches or patches that have very quick modulations on attack, or if there is a monophonic lfo cycling a parameter such as formant or filter env depth - things start to sound wrong. The envelopes skip the attack and the modulations go awry....

synthfiend 17.12.2008 03:02 AM

if what you guys say is true I'm going to be V disappointed, one of the main reasons I outlayed all this money for a hardware synth was to avoid bad timing.....