The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   Studio equipment (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   My final GAS list (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=25212)

Juho L 07.03.2005 08:03 PM

My final GAS list

In addition to a new top notch DAW computer: www.juho-lepisto.com/GAS.jpg

There you go, you hardware slaves. Muahahaha! Crush under your heaps of clumsy junk. BUAHAHAHAHA!

AlexHall74 07.03.2005 08:18 PM

Nice setup actually.

My only problem with all software based is the lack of jammability.

Somehow it's just not the same to jam on a PC.

Some hardware is good for fault tolerance.

Are you looking for investors with this list? :wink:

Juho L 07.03.2005 09:07 PM

PC jamming is no problem. Actually what's the difference anyways? (excluding acoustic and vintage keyboards)

And nah. No need for investors. But I really wouldn't mind if someone would like to invest.

AlexHall74 07.03.2005 09:15 PM

Quote:

Juho wrote:
PC jamming is no problem. Actually what's the difference anyways? (excluding acoustic and vintage keyboards)
The difference is the mouse.
As soon as I touch one it bums me out for some reason.

A mouse is as much of a let down to a jam session as a condom is to sex, IMHO.

Quote:

Juho wrote:
And nah. No need for investors. But I really wouldn't mind if someone would like to invest.
Heh! Same here.

I bought all my gear myself BUT I will NEVER stop another human being from buying me additional gear. :wink:

Merlot 07.03.2005 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexHall74
The difference is the mouse.
As soon as I touch one it bums me out for some reason.

A mouse is as much of a let down to a jam session as a condom is to sex, IMHO.

Agreed!. I hate using the mouse to tweak "virtual knobs" Interrups the creative process and flow for me. I know I could get a knob box, but I am too lazy to have to set it all up to respoind to certain MIDI CC#'s and crap like that.

Juho L 08.03.2005 01:01 PM

Have you guys ever heard of MIDI? You know, the thing that's used to control software and synths. Hoho.

Tomer=Trance 08.03.2005 01:54 PM

lol juho is right
in addition what the use of comfortable hw synths to program when you dont have a good runing studio to creat and record quality music in!

Juho L 08.03.2005 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
lol juho is right
in addition what the use of comfortable hw synths to program when you dont have a good runing studio to creat and record quality music in!

The reason why I got away from hardware is the reason that I simply hate recording synths - It's an endless loop of record-"make changes"-delete-rerecord-"make more changes"-delete-rerecord. With software it's so nice that you can add FX right away and you have much more polyphony available. It's a joy.

By the way, that Doepfer Drehbank is a brilliant box. You can assing the knobs so that you can program for example PoCo Virus hardly even touching a mouse or keyboard. Great for that jamming stuff Alex mentioned. That box even has space for custom labels above the knobs.

I just sent an e-mail to a company that makes studio desks and asked how much would cost a custom studio desk (from bottom to top: Keyboard & mouse -> Doepfer PK88 -> Fatar SL161 Pro -> Doepfer Drehbank mounted in an incline panel for easy access -> Space for two 17" LCD displays & studio monitors). By the way has anyone got a custom studio desk? Are those pricey?

AlexHall74 08.03.2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Merlot wrote:
Agreed!. I hate using the mouse to tweak "virtual knobs" Interrups the creative process and flow for me. I know I could get a knob box, but I am too lazy to have to set it all up to respoind to certain MIDI CC#'s and crap like that.
Yup, it sucks!

Quote:

Juho L wrote:
Have you guys ever heard of MIDI? You know, the thing that's used to control software and synths. Hoho.
Yup, but I am totally new to it so I can't fully utilize it as of yet. Maybe in a year or so, but not now.

So, I still prefer hardware but REALLY appreciate the affordability/versatility of software synths.

I'll get there, I'm still new to keys. :roll:

Timo 08.03.2005 03:05 PM

My GAS list is as follows:

* Soundcraft Ghost24 (hopefully aquiring one very soon)
* Centrino laptop... with multi-channel i/o audio and midi

The TI will, unfortunately, have to wait...... ;) If I get the above items, it'll be the first time I'll ever be able to make proper music as opposed to just messing around.