The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   virus ti Vs sylenth1 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=30114)

00264167 28.10.2008 05:41 PM

virus ti Vs sylenth1

having just brought a virus ti im surprised to find alot of the time im prefering the sound of sylenth over the virus.
to me the sylenth oscillators sound fatter and more up front than the virus even with the unison mode high. perhaps i havent had it long enough but at the moment im thinking have i just blown a whole load of cash for not much that i didnt have already with sylenth.

evoluxion 28.10.2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00264167 (Post 284037)
having just brought a virus ti im surprised to find alot of the time im prefering the sound of sylenth over the virus.
to me the sylenth oscillators sound fatter and more up front than the virus even with the unison mode high. perhaps i havent had it long enough but at the moment im thinking have i just blown a whole load of cash for not much that i didnt have already with sylenth.

Joke post?

Or one of the many virus bashers on KVR?

00264167 28.10.2008 06:00 PM

no, im serious. ive had the kc aswell but yesterday i was comparing the virus ti presets and sylenth1 presets side by side and there are some sounds that one can do that the other cant but for alot of them i thought sylenth was better and easier to program.

evoluxion 28.10.2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00264167 (Post 284039)
no, im serious. ive had the kc aswell but yesterday i was comparing the virus ti presets and sylenth1 presets side by side and there are some sounds that one can do that the other cant but for alot of them i thought sylenth was better and easier to program.

I have sylenth and disagree with you completely.

i bought a virus ti because the vst sound is thin.

00264167 28.10.2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evoluxion (Post 284040)
I have sylenth and disagree with you completely.

i bought a virus ti because the vst sound is thin.

most softsynths do sound thin but sylenth certainly doesnt imo. i would say bass sounds bigger in the virus than most other hard and softsynths though.

Monobeat 28.10.2008 08:30 PM

I just picked up Sylenth this weekend as well. I have to disagree with you. I will surely continue to program with it, and try to coax the power you are finding with it....

Nothing yet. Another dissappointing VA VST...

In terms of VST, I love the older recreations from Arturia. The sound of those plugins is stable, predictable, and recallable. That's where VSTs shine in my book. I say, leave the heavy programming and synth automation to a good hardware synth. Virus Analog Outs 4 Eva!!!!!!!!

evoluxion 28.10.2008 09:23 PM

In terms of VST's I'm a fan of Gladiator , almost all of REFX stuff and UA and Native Inst.

But the virus has become my electronic sound workhorse. My main melodies come from the virus while I complement with the vst sound.

The converters have a lot to do with the sound of the virus.

If you like the vst more than the virus and happen to have a polar I'll buy it off you ;)

Summa 29.10.2008 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evoluxion (Post 284043)
The converters have a lot to do with the sound of the virus.

Especially when using USB or S/P-DIF connection ;)

Wasn't able to spot much difference between Virus Direct-Out or using another Pro-Audio-Device.

LivePsy 29.10.2008 08:51 PM

Summa, I'm not sure what you meant. Which side of the fence are you on the USB to DAW output vs. the analog output jacks?

B

synthfiend 30.10.2008 01:53 AM

This thread reminds me of something I have been wondering about :confused:

In theory if you run the S/P-DIF connection from the Polar into a high end D/A converter, could it possible that the analogue outs on the D/A converter may sound better than the analogue outs on the Polar itself ??