The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about music (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Anyone in here whos interested in making film scores? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=25978)

DIGITAL SCREAMS 21.10.2005 04:03 PM

Anyone in here whos interested in making film scores?

I appreciate most people in here enjoy making dance and trance etc. But im interested to discover which members in here use their virus (and other synths) for other genres. Personally i love film scores. When i program synth sounds and play them....i seem to levitate towards Hans Zimmer, Vangelis and Brian Eno styles....

Im a great fan of Hans Zimmers style of writing....I think its genious. And considering he's not classicly trained....it IS genious.

SO what other styles do you guys write/involved in. Anyone into 80's style filmscore....I am!!! Perhaps you could name some of your favourite 80's films scores.

DS

Tomer=Trance 21.10.2005 07:14 PM

Accualy i find great interest in sound designing and music for Gaming.
after doing my army duty and geting out in.... late 2010 im gone study and look for a job in that region but not before i'l go and seriously study clasical music and basics of composition.

jasedee 22.10.2005 01:00 AM

I am doing a project at the moment using images taken from the Pink Floyd DVD "Live in Pompeii", the images being of space, planets etc.... and then also of volcano's, lava flows and eruptions.

We are composing a 5 minute piece inspired by these images, and then editing the images to fit the sound.

The Virus C features heavily in the first half of the piece, using Pink Floyd inspired presets, and other atmospheric pads.

I will post the finished project when we complete it.

Onkel Dunkel 22.10.2005 05:39 PM

I have a plan of doing a stop-motion playdoe movie with a friend of mine someday. She is going to do the stop-motion filming and modeling and i?m going to make soundeffects and score for it 8)

The girl next door 23.10.2005 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Dunkel
I have a plan of doing a stop-motion playdoe movie with a friend of mine someday. She is going to do the stop-motion filming and modeling and i?m going to make soundeffects and score for it 8)

Hay maybe you can do some stuff for "Wallace and Gromit" they need some new material..... :wink:

MADSTATION 23.10.2005 04:29 PM

I actually just got "The Warriors" game in rental(remember that cult classic movie?) and the synths sounds in there area out of this world, really ;)

But when it comes to movie score, I really do like to listen to some but I never really tackled this area, mostly because I don't have much theory in songwriting and I don't have proper surround system to mix on. I'm more interrested in the production side than the writing :)

But I love doing ambiance music:
http://www.madstation.net/mad_amb.mp3

marc 25.10.2005 10:54 PM

Re: Anyone in here whos interested in making film scores?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
I appreciate most people in here enjoy making dance and trance etc. But im interested to discover which members in here use their virus (and other synths) for other genres. Personally i love film scores. When i program synth sounds and play them....i seem to levitate towards Hans Zimmer, Vangelis and Brian Eno styles....

Im a great fan of Hans Zimmers style of writing....I think its genious. And considering he's not classicly trained....it IS genious.

SO what other styles do you guys write/involved in. Anyone into 80's style filmscore....I am!!! Perhaps you could name some of your favourite 80's films scores.

DS

i did a lot of music to pictures in a previous live. if you're into hans' stuff, aka fairly epic you really should check out what he did with james newton howard on "Batman begins". it's a huge orchestra, recorded in london and it sounds certainly very huge ;)

another guy to recommend is John Powell, who for instance wrote the music for Italian Jon which is a nice blend intween Orchstra and Breakbeat

- marc

Tomer=Trance 26.10.2005 07:30 AM

I thought the 2003 (?) Italian Job was terrible compering to the original one (197x).

DIGITAL SCREAMS 26.10.2005 10:20 AM

Thx Marc.....i'll check those out!

Music for films *can* add so much atmosphere. I hate it when i watch an otherwise great film where the music sucks. Modern films seem to use big orchestra type arrangements....and thats fair enough....but im a stickler for those minimalist, atmospheric analog synth driven tracks of the late 70's early 80's. I also enjoy the DX7 and Fairlight overkill of mid 80's late 80's tracks too.

Marc have you seen any of these films? WALL STREET (Emulator II strings), FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (DX7), BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (DX7), GOONIES (various synths), RAIN MAN (DX7, Fairlight) etc etc

Love these scores.....and synth sounds. It would be very cool if you could implement true FM synthesis in a Virus at a later stage.....FM is beautiful.

DS

Onkel Dunkel 26.10.2005 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The girl next door
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Dunkel

Hay maybe you can do some stuff for "Wallace and Gromit" they need some new material..... :wink:

Actually the girl i will be making it with is a huge fan of wallace and gromit :wink: