The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Experiment: Virus TI in Win7 x64 Virtual XP (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=31015)

zeno 19.05.2009 06:29 AM

Experiment: Virus TI in Win7 x64 Virtual XP

So.

Out of continued desperation to fully use my new system and all of it's capabilities, I've installed Windows 7 X64.

Obviously the 32 bit driver will not work in 64 bit windows.

I installed Windows Virtual PC / Virtual XP.

The XP Guest loads great under Windows 7. After disabling all the default audio drivers in Windows 7 for the TI, I ran the TI installer on the Windows XP virtual machine. Everything appeared to function properly. Drivers installed fine. It detected when I plugged in and unplugged the TI. But once it got to the UPDATE TI part, it stalled on "Scanning for Virus TI"

No big deal though right? My TI's os is already up to date so I cancelled the installer and it looked like everything was fine.

Even windows audio is working.

When I loaded up Ableton, it detected everything fine. However I could not get audio to play with the ASIO driver. not even a click.

When I try to load up the Virus TI VST, it loads fine, but says "No Virus TI can be found." :(

In Hardware Setup, the Virus TI ASIO 2.8.14 window pops up with "System Preformance" and "Application Priority" drop downs no problem.

This is where this story, and probably this thread, ends.

Doc Jones 19.05.2009 11:01 PM

bummer that you couldn't get it working but even if you got it all working, I'm pretty certain your performance would be unacceptable. Virtual PC is a type 2 hypervisor which means the app has to make a call through the hypervisor and then the os in order to access the hardware. The only way I can see virtualization being acceptable for digital audio would be to be to use a type 1 hypervisor (like vmware esx or hyper v) and to configure the VM with "pass through" or direct disk access.

zeno 20.05.2009 12:03 AM

good to know.

I didn't have high hopes for it, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I have yet to try VMware with Windows XP. I've run a Ubuntu server as a guest, but that's about it.

I might play with things more in the near future.

Doc Jones 20.05.2009 02:57 AM

Here's hoping they release those 64 bit drivers soon!

cYrus 27.05.2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Jones (Post 290335)
bummer that you couldn't get it working but even if you got it all working, I'm pretty certain your performance would be unacceptable. Virtual PC is a type 2 hypervisor which means the app has to make a call through the hypervisor and then the os in order to access the hardware. The only way I can see virtualization being acceptable for digital audio would be to be to use a type 1 hypervisor (like vmware esx or hyper v) and to configure the VM with "pass through" or direct disk access.

Windows Virtual PC IS a type 1 hypervisor but you don't want to use it even then. it abstracts all the additional hardware and audiocards are a nightmare in a virtual environment. there's no way that access needs to release native 64bit drivers.

h4nc0 27.05.2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Jones (Post 290338)
Here's hoping they release those 64 bit drivers soon!

+++++++++1

Doc Jones 27.05.2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cYrus (Post 290643)
Windows Virtual PC IS a type 1 hypervisor but you don't want to use it even then.

actually Virtual PC is a type 2 hypervisor. Microsoft's Hyper V is it's only type 1 offering by them. But agreed, even with a type 1 hypervisor, the audio performance would be less than optimal.