View Single Post
Old 17.12.2004, 04:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mcoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3o3
...What he needed to was to; change the 256meg RAM-card which was faulty...
It's rare but I have had SIMM/DIMMs go bad in the past and sometimes they contine to actually function but just randomly corrupt memory. That inevitably means the OS will have a stroke and start grinding up the data on disk. Once the registry and system key are messed up, it's done.

I am on my third Mac and probably my 10th PC. They are commodities. OSX (even Panther) just doesn't aspire to do what Windows does, that is, be the bitch of every piece of spyware and maladjusted shareware that comes down the pike, so it tends to go longer between siezures.

My original Mac, however -- a PowerMac 6?00 with a PPC 604 (upgraded later to a G3 card) -- threw a motherboard and hard drive about a week out of warranty. To their credit, the Apple support guy on the phone made the call and my baby was fully restored, $0.

My Newton 2001 (still have it, ashamed to show it) developed some irregularities once and I got good help from a nice college girl on Apple support somewhere the midwest. After we took care of that, we chatted on their dime for, like, two hours more (sounded hot, at least).

Weird company, let's just say that. Meanwhile, I've had about five Dells, most of which have developed issues at some point or another, but I've always opted for their on-site support and they show up all neat and tidy at my house and set everything straight (what's not to like?).