View Single Post
Old 21.06.2012, 11:55 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstaR View Post
TI Snow polyphony is fine. Definitely >10 voices unless you deliberately try to max it out (Grain Complex where it's not needed, long reverb and release tails, 8x unison etc.). More like >20 with sensibly programmed patches and close to double that with really simple ones. If you have some good effects, you don't even need to use the Virus's built-in reverb (though it sounds excellent).

My only concern is that you won't be happy with the Virus either. You've already tried some of the very best virtual analog plug-ins available. If you can't get good Electro/Prog/Trance patches (which is basically what those plug-ins were made for) out of them, I don't see how you could succeed with the Virus. Lots of producers use the plug-ins you mentioned to produce very "professional" sounding records.
Thanks for your input. Yes, after all of the feedback and further research on it, I think the Snow is easily capable of obtaining the sound(s) I'm after. Better sound, more capable, quicker, less tedious workflow and less CPU load = over all winner.

This is/was also my concern. I should clarify a bit, the VST's I previously mentioned definitely are great for some things, I do use them a lot for certain staple sounds I've programmed, but IMO not so good for the specific sound/filter work I described. Yes, with stacking a few different plugs, a lot of programming, external processing (long chains of filter, EQ, compression, FX etc.) and careful automation, after hours of tweaking I can get close to this sound I'm trying to create, but never 100% happy. They all seem to have these artifacts that for me just aren't at that level I'm trying to reach, yet. Many could say I'm being way too picky, but frankly I'm at a point in my career where almost 100% isn't good enough anymore. If anything, I need to be more picky and more critical of the units/VST's I use and get the sounds from head to audio, spot on in the shortest amount of time possible to keep things flowing.

Yes, I have convinced myself that Virus is the solution.. have I tried it yet? No. As soon as I can find one at a fair price, I will find out first hand. Maybe I will be disappointed and go back to Nord, Moog, Roland, the endless patching, tweaking, bouncing and processing for these sounds. I know from experience that with A LOT of work, it is possible with these hardware synths - fantastic sounds, but at a premium cost in terms of cash and workflow, not to mention studio real estate and regular maintenance issues. Anyway, hopefully I'm right and the Virus will make life easier and better sounding for me. We'll see.

BTW if anybody in London or south UK has a Snow or Desktop model and is looking for a quick cash sale, I'm your guy, please do PM me!