View Single Post
Old 05.11.2008, 11:07 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivePsy View Post
I am referring to every digital synth I've owned, about 8 all up. Low cut to reject DC is one thing, but I think it affects the clearly audible low freqeuncies say around 60Hz or higher.
This might be intentionally to make sure the user has less problems fitting the synth into the mix and probably has nothing to do with DAC or the corresponding amp.

Quote:
Let's just keep it to the TI, it definitely does this.
I'm a bit afraid to discussion all the weaknesses of the Virus here, they'll probably throw me out of this forum I'd guess this is a engine generated effect, you tested the S/P-DIF and USB Output for comparison?

Quote:
BTW when I suggested the analog stage was weak, I meant it in the sense that it is the weakest quality link, not that the output level was low.
Please keep in mind that english isn't my native language, when it comes to technical terms I may pick the wrong expressions. I'm very sorry if this cause missunderstandings or hurts your feelings.

Quote:
You previously posted that subtle differences in pro audio DACs have audible effects:
Nope, I posted that the differences between the DACs are that subtile, that slight level differences would have an higher impact on the character of the output.

Quote:
if synth manufacturers are not treating the post DAC analog stage like pro audio, then its no wonder. Its irrelevant to me (its making its own sounds not reproducing anything) but I thought it was reinforcing your point of view.
Well, if its a shielding and cabling problem you'd probably hear hum or clock emissions, but this wouldn't have that much influence on the character of the synth.

Quote:
Higher than 48KHz would also help in calculating the waveforms - sharp edges and lower aliasing.
I think to remember that the bandlimiting filter needs about 5 or 6khz where it tends to dampen the higher harmonics, so with 48khz (48-5=42/2 (f/2 nyquist) = 21Khz) Oscillator and bandwith wise you'd be on the save side. When it comes to nonlinear stuff like FM or waveshaping (like filter saturation), I've been told that higher sampling rates or oversampling can be extremely helpfull to shift the artefacts above the audiable range. Still, 192khz would be pretty much an overkill, but I'm no synth developer myself, it's just a few explanaitions I got when talking/mailing to developers I worked with.

You can find some very informational papers regarding that topic here:

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~stilt...s/Welcome.html

...Summa

Last edited by Summa : 06.11.2008 at 12:10 AM.