View Single Post
Old 18.11.2012, 09:05 PM
Pro
Pro

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Sound demos are great! For some reason it inspires me to get one and attempt to reproduce the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange.
Yes. When you watch the teaser trailor, it brought about George Orwell's "1984" or Wm. S. Burroughes book "Naked Lunch" in which a very trippy movie was made of.
Dec 3, 2012 they are shipping. What I have learned to my dismay is fact that even though each of the four fully analog (VCO,VCF,VCA), two osc each with two subs, dual filters, with the HP being digital as well as the sequencer end of things---they remain "multi-timberal monophonic". That may sound oxymoronic but glad I found this out by digging a bit deeper inside a few people's brains because it IS NOT polyphonic, although Elektron is pondering that may happen in "future O.S. updates". Each voice is incredibly fat and analog and the only WAY more than one note can be stacked of the four fat osc's is when they overlay each other within the strata of the sequencer.
With that said, it *seems* this is similar to what I ALREADY have with DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard and Desktop Evolver polychained, without the digital half wavetable osc's. I dare say the Evolver is a bit more versatile because with two Evolvers as aformentioned, on my Mono Evolver Keyboard whilst Desktop Evolver polychained and "slaved", I can isolate/turn off sum of the 4 digital osc's and have duophonic 4 analog DCO's/VCF/VCA-PER each of two voices, and coupled with sequencer or arp, easily come-up with same sounds as demo, but when 4 digital osc's are unleashed, it's a total wash!
Safe to say that a largely sharp pin ~POPPED~ my GAS and lust for the Analog Four. Also found that the Analog Four's sequencer at this point cannot drive external gear....FAIL!
So may I retract and state if Elektron were to have spent their money hiring real musicians instead of the apparent "DJ market", rather than on a really cool and dramtic marketing video, they would have had the musician asking same questions and implimented these desired things to be truely innovative. I am not saying this box would not serve some great music niche in someone's set-up rather; just how many more "groove boxes" need to be reinvented? The same thing applies to fact there's more new midi controller keyboards released EACH year rather than manufacturers truely doing something innovative like expounding upon 'Additive Synthesis" or "Physical Modeling Synthesis", for example. Thankfully, we have Access and Waldorf, whom both **must have** some things new on their dungeon slabs that upon stormy nights with each crack of lightening, we could imagine hearing a sinister cry into the electrofied air, "IT's ALIVE"!!!! How's THAT for DRAMA!!? This post and rant also proves one never should get all that excited until peeling back the skin and seeing what may lay beneath, not to mention what THEY circumnavigate by NOT stating! Kind of akin to video game makers spending oodles of $$ of the exterior graphics on their retail box before the code for game is even made, only to find out as a consumer the game may not exactly suck, but there's others whom have produced MUCH better ones, albeit similar, yet a mile away! By the way, I could not find these answers listed anywhere in Elektron's own specs of product. It was only through posting questions, of which they were incredibly fast in popping my GAS bubble several times with! Nothing like the answer given, "PERHAPS in a FUTURE O.S. UPDATE"!!! Back to what I am cooking in my virae and evolvers!

Last edited by namnibor : 18.11.2012 at 10:09 PM.