View Single Post
Old 29.11.2010, 04:18 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcTale View Post
Even though USB2 was already established the TI1 and TI2 used both USB1.1.
The TI|1, TI|2 and Snow use USB 2.0 Full-Speed chipset, which is back compatible with USB 1.1. For more info, see quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Generally, USB v2.0 is available in three hardware chipset types (not software):-

Low Speed (1.5 Mbit/s)
Full Speed (12 Mbit/s)
High Speed (480 Mbit/s)

The TI uses the 'Full Speed' USB v2.0 hardware chipset at 12 Mbit/s, which is incidently the fastest that USB v1.1 can achieve. Hence the confusion.
Quote:
Next will be USB2.0.
I think next would still be USB2.0, but using the High Speed (480Mbit/s) chipset instead of the current Full Speed (12Mbit/s) hardware chipset.

High Speed USB 2.0 is comparable to Firewire 400. I'm led to believe that in the early days High Speed USB 2.0 didn't have sufficiently great 'off-the-shelf' software packages for people to employ and develop, so Full Speed was chosen by Access. I could be wrong, but at least that's what I think transpired. Of course Access could have held back High-Speed on the TI as a business decision too - to create a selling point for the next iteration (successor). Full Speed was perfectly adequate for what they needed for the TI|1/2.

Quote:
And I´m very sure they won´t use USB3 or even Light Peak
Agreed. USB 2.0 high-speed is well established and would provide exactly what is needed (greater bandwidth and speed) over the current USB2.0 Full Speed that the TIs use. USB 2 is so well established it would maximise Access' consumer base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby31 View Post
haha. Way to go to get search engine optimisation early. Very shrewd. A bit bad though, it allows you to add one to the cart for $989.00 and it takes you through to the checkout.