View Single Post
Old 28.08.2010, 11:29 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default (Not) another virus vs. VST thread

Hey guys,
So all over the web are debates and beyond about the virus vs plugins like sylenth, massive, kore2, the list goes on. I happened upon this thread:

http://www.access-music.de/forum/ind...=1068&pageNo=1

In which an amateur synth enthusiast posted a simple question regarding the virus and soft synths and got some very heated, rude in my opinion, answers that were uncalled for, disappointing, and just plain childish.
So let me, a very enthusiastic but novice synth user, ask this question (and hopefully get civil, adult-quality answers)

I opened up Logic and made two tracks, one with my TI2, one with sylenth. I set both to init and started plinking away on my midi controller and immediately noticed that the oscillators of sylenth SMASH the oscillators of the TI2 (and I AM running the ti2 through the analogue outs, not USB). I read somewhere that simply focusing on the oscillator sound of a synth is missing the "big picture," and that the virus still has the edge on plug ins, which I am completely open to believing, but I think I need a little convincing from some experts being that the first impression of the sounds of the two would lead me to believe that the soft synths are at least as good as the TI2.

One of my personal mottos and beliefs is that tools are tools and the artist is the artists blah blah blah, whatever But the way I see it, if it is possible to get GREAT VA sounds out of some computer programs, perhaps the better investment might be something like a DSI prophet or alesis andromeda to get the REAL analogue sound. (then drop in the U-he effects or something like that to add some flavor)

I don't really have a defined question to ask anyone, but I would like to hear the opinions of those who are very familiar with both the virus and the VSTs. Specifically anything that the virus could do that is out of reach of the VSTs (or vice versa?).