View Single Post
Old 18.06.2009, 12:41 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
...the power went out. 2003 North America blackout.
Wow, I didn't know the Virus was that powerful!

I came from Rebirth (1997-98, pre vst era - spending all that time trying to make the 303s not sound like 303s LOL). Then Buzz Tracker (the modular aspect was cool, I made some amazing sounds by accident, but they weren't always so musical). Then Reason and an Alpha Juno, although I never actually used it in a tune (all I did with it was hoovers, but I didn't write techno then). Then ill health stopped my from making tunes. My health is still not 100%, but at the back of my mind there was always the thought that I would write tunes again. At the start of '09, I made a fateful stop at a music store in town, wondering how much midi keyboards were these days. Perhaps this was the time? Then I started finding out how cool the gear is these days (especially the VSTs which were pretty shithouse back when I was using Reason 1.0). And of course the computer integration of certain synthesizers. I live in a 1br flat and can't deal with multiple keyboards, big mixer etc. I bought a few bits of gear, an M3 with the radius upgrade, motif rack es (sold), a few other cheap bits (sold), and finally there was a Virus TI desktop available in my town, from a dj gear store! I was reluctant to buy interstate as most people don't know how to package gear if they don't have the original packaging - they think that 5 layers of bubble wrap will protect it (one of the bits of gear I tried was damaged this way - but they accepted a return). And no one bid on it! I had to sell some other stuff before I could buy it, but I ended up getting it for $1800aud.
I'm still learning how to make some more interesting sounds on it of course as I haven't had it that long.