Thread: Mopho x4
View Single Post
Old 14.10.2012, 02:00 PM
Pro
Pro

I already have an DSI Evolver Desktop, which is defintely a versatile little blue beast! I actually looked into the Mopho x4 as a possible analog addition as my only analog is presently the half of Evolver that is so and it sounds amazing isolated playing from the digital side of things, being able to route/modulate anything to everything. when I learned that that DSI's kind of propriatory poly-chaining is actually limited in that if you presently connected a Tetra to the Mopho x4, you would indeed get those extra voices but multimode becomes even more limited than the Tetra inherently is by design, at least for my wont of a utilitarian addition--this may not be an issue for others.
What I am going to do instead is by year's end, purchase a Mono Evolver keyboard, since they officially discontinued it upon release of the mopho x4 and poly chain it to my Evolver Desktop and have all those extra buttons and knobs to control a massive sonic palette even though it may seem that duophonic may sound bleak--it's hardly the case with the genius of Dave Smith's Evolver. The external input signal processing makes it even more versatile, and again, the Mopho x4 has no external input as the Mopho has but alas, it's impossible to polychain a Mopho to an Evolver.
I find new sonic territories EVERY time I dedicate some programming time to it and I think I made contact with an alien culture one very early morning by routing the Evolver's output to the external input of my Waldorf Microwave XT orange beast rack. My Maine Coone Cat's tail became as large as a featherduster and I think I have about three hours of unaccounted time in my life during that experiment.
Yes, the Mopho x4 is a great price for a four-voiced analog polysynth, but still find the Evolver much more interesting so shall travel to some far away region in space today twice, I suspect because plan two more experiments by running Virus KC through external input of Evolver and when returning will run the Evolver into my Virus KB's external input. Anyone else here have similar pleasantries with DSI Evolver in their set-ups? I know this is a strong statement but of all the beasts in my studio arsenal, the Evolver is in equal top three with Virus KB and my KC. By the way, I find enough profound differences between the KB/KC that justify owning both, with the key-action of the KC being the best these fingers have ever danced upon! BTW--the Mono Evolver Keyboard is at same price as the Mopho x4 and is a no-brainer which choice to make and sorry so long but wanted to share my experience with it and why it plays nice with our beloved Virae!