View Single Post
Old 15.03.2005, 10:19 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackborn
Thanks much to marc and ben for the demo! My feelings on it are mixed -- the sounds are fairly standard pad/lead sounds, albeit with some of the nice, subtle complexity the wavetables can bring. On the flip side, this is the first virus demo I've heard that has that smooth, rich, high-frequency, glassy sound I typically associate with 'expensive,' so that's great. Overall, for what I like, the patches sound decent, but the quality sounds excellent.

I don't know if it's just the demos or if it's actually a limitation of the virus, but I've never once heard anything but usable sounds in a demo. I tend to like the more crazy, heavily modulated sound effect-type stuff.

At any rate, it's just nice to hear something. Thanks!
first of all, when i do demos normally i have a virtually unlimited amount of sounds to my disposal (there is about 5000 on the access site...). here, i had about 20 and they were specifically designed to show what's new (only using the new oscillator types).

as for the "usuable" sounds, we will take that in. i never thought that a demo can ever cover exactly what you would do yourself. so indirectly i just covers what I would do with the sound in this moment. point me to a link of what you expect and i happily will listen to it.

what somebody described as expensive wasn't designed for a sales reason at all (apart from the fact that we live from selling our synths of course). it's just the way those oscs sound. a wavetable clearly has a clarity to it which was not possible to program with the traditional VA oscillators. if it would, we wouldn't felt the need to develop wavetable oscillators in the first place. we wouldn't implement a new oscillator without knowing that it would add a lot to the sonic arsenal.

marc