View Single Post
Old 08.05.2014, 09:10 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
I fail to see how him being able to play the piano or not is relevant. He's clearly able to both compose and produce his music, and his music does actually show that he knows his music theory...

A musician isn't just someone who can perform with an instrument. Many times the best performers are not good writers and the other way around. With Electronic Music it's always more about composition then live performance, and people are praised for what they can do within the realm of sound and music (yes, the two combined) rather then just for their clever usage of scales and harmonies, or their keyboard playing skills. Isn't that so? I'm sorry to say I don't see much of a point. A producer is someone who can put things together, but doesn't necessarily have the creativity to come up with something on his own. That's what a producer is. This isn't the case. He's a musician, a producer, he also does all the engineering involved in his music from mixing to mastering. He's the whole deal. He knows audio and music inside out, like those behind all successful Electronic Music acts do. That's what it takes. If you ask me, I think most of this guys, even when they're kids making annoying music that just happens to be what's currently driving people nuts in clubs and outdoor festivals, are much more proficient about what they do then previous generations of musicians, where some of them couldn't compose a song on their own, can't perform or understand the other instruments that were part of the band, couldn't produce, mix and master their own music without hiring professionals to do it for them; so in a way, they were less educated and needed much more assistance to produce their music then Skrillex (or any such acts) - even the Doors.
Opinion heard, though I still have my own. I do agree that a lot of the musicians of days gone by were far more focused on the playing/writing/musical side of the process and did not have the technical skills to mix/produce/etc, so yes we are to some degree seeing a merging of skill sets, more jacks of all trades yet masters of none types.

Not too long ago I had the pleasure of seeing The Eagles in concert. I'd like someone to show me a band that has come about in the last 10 or 20 years that are even in their league. These nearly 70 year old guys got on stage and lit up their instruments like most of the newer generation of kiddies will only be able to dream about. This is why tickets near the stage cost $1000 a piece. When someone shows me $1000 tickets for a Skrillex concert being sold, or even the types of record sales they've had, then I will believe he's in the same league. Until then some can only dream...

As always, not trying to tell anyone they should think like me or even agree.