Thread: What the pluck?
View Single Post
Old 28.01.2011, 09:04 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnelby View Post
Simply put, for me it is weird that with other synths it is hard to NOT get accurate pluck sounds, when the virus takes some coaxing to get that sharp attack.
I really think the non-linear attack/decay envelopes are the key -- I wish I could tell you exactly how to achieve that on the Virus, but I'm pretty sure its possible (if not, shame on them)... and even if it's not directly supported you can sometimes do tricks with 2 filters, like an LP + BP that will give you a sharp curve that gives that bite, but finding that sweetspot can be a bit of a chore. Adjusting the resonance peak has an enormous amount to do with it too.

For example Zebra2 can do this type of modification to the envelope slope, but the setting is in a place that's easy to miss until you've worked with it for a while and know where it is.

Just as an experiment a while back, I watched a few sound creation tutorials using the Virus, and tried to recreate the same sounds using Dune. The % tweaks on each parameter and specific settings were a little different, but for the most part I was able to get Dune sounding IDENTICAL with minimum effort. When I say identical I mean in the fundamental areas like how an oscillator sounds under specific conditions, the harmonics etc. I am not implying in any way that Dune supports all the effects possibilities that exist on the Virus, which counts for a lot. It does have a nice sounding reverb, chorus, phase, delay, distort and EQ though.