View Single Post
Old 27.08.2013, 02:18 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkey Donkey View Post
I would also be interested as I'm looking at moving from Windows XP to a new Mac mini but have concerns with my TI1 being being compatible with USB3 (especially as I had to get a separate USB PCI card just to get it working properly on my PC)
Been here. I bought a Mac Mini for development purposes, but experimented with it as a music platform to see if I could replace my PC. I came to the conclusion that for my workflow, I would need a very expensive Mac Pro to come close to match the power and flexibility that an inexpensive PC provides. The non-tower Macs don't have enough airflow to run the best CPUs, and of course there's no way to upgrade them or put in dedicated cards for things like USB and Firewire. Sometimes the value of putting in a new card for troubleshooting purposes alone is worth it. I've even thought about getting one of the Universal Audio DSP cards and slapping it in so I can run their plug-ins and save CPU cycles.

Mobility of course is a different issue entirely, and of course expandability sacrifices are made there, but if you need mobility I assume you'd be looking at a laptop rather than a Mini.