View Single Post
Old 12.11.2014, 04:57 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
If Sound Cloud existed in the 80's and 90's, band like FWM, Oasis etc, might never ever of reached the stardom they did. There's more to a big act, band than musical skill. Marketing is majour. Their sound dominated then, it was hard for others to get a look in, even underground bands were crafted carefully to appeal to the target audience..
This paragraph starts to approach things that are more aligned to what I was trying to discuss. For example, the idea that Sound Cloud (along with Internet music distribution on the whole) might be either contributing to the dearth of talent, or at least covering it up by making bad music more obtainable and thus removing focus from the good music? If I have to wade through tons of half-baked crap on SC to find true talent, then wasn't it better in the old days when record labels vetted out the garbage for me, making my life more efficient?

One of the ideas I was hoping to explore is that its very possible (since the world is a more crowded place these days than it was say, 30 years or so ago) that there are actually far more talented musical artists on the planet, but perhaps they are harder to come by because the availability of Internet technologies has made it too easy for the less talented people to flood the "airwaves" (intentional use of retro terminology), thus making it harder to find the diamonds in the rough? Maybe there are a lot of talented artists who feel it is too hard to make a living because of the same issue, thus find other ways to feed themselves or their family?

Quote:
I came fresh outta the rave scene, we liked noise crafted in peoples bed rooms. The stuff these big names were making we despised. SOFT ROCK my arse, it sounds like shit to me. MUSIC IS TASTE. If every one liked Shit we would eat it. If every one like the noise you don't it is your taste that makes you think it is shit, not that it is actually shit..
But the fact you don't like soft rock is completely irrelevant. You're trying so hard to make it a discussion about musical taste, while simultaneously telling me what the thread is really about (despite the fact I'm the one who created it). The fact is that you want to believe that's what it's about, because it's the angle you want to debate it from, but no matter of wishing is going to change the fact that I started the thread with a particular intent, and you're not going to be successful in re-inventing that intent with all the wishing in the world.

Quote:
If I was in charge of the world I could buy all music creators and make it so only a few bands which i controlled had market share. Those bands would now sell the most. Every one would see that sound as the sound of there youth and have an attachment to it. I'm using way out there similies now to try paint the picture.
But that only supports the idea that both today and yesterday, lots of bands who had talent never got played because of marketing tricksters. That problem exists in every industry, it always has, and is not news. We can only focus on what fans are saying they like... they can only like what they hear. Unfortunately there may be other influences that affect what is available for us to hear, and maybe that's an interesting discussion in itself, but I don't it speaks to the decline of musical quality because it has remained constant over time.

Quote:
I bet hundreds of musicians could have made just as good tunes as FWM back in their day if given the right team and studio to work in.
Yes, and that is exactly one of my points - THEY DID, BACK IN THE DAY. Finding good tunes these days gets a lot harder though.

Quote:
Today, we don't need that.
I think that sentiment probably summarize the real root of the problem. Nobody cares if the band is the right team or not. As long as their bubblegum is fed to them over their little ipods, they will spend big money for headphones as a fashion accessory without caring one bit about what's actually being fed through them.

Last edited by MBTC : 12.11.2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: fixed a quote issue