View Single Post
Old 12.11.2014, 05:30 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
I guess what i'm trying to say is there will always be and always has been this problem. It's not new and the next generation will do exactly the same.

One could argue that their talent lies in Googling. Yes with out it they'd fail but with it, better than average Joe, some people are rubbish at googling lol! The same as a guitarist or drummer, the song writer or the mix engineer, take away their tool and boom.

So we could now have a debate over what talent actually is. Stumbling on to realise that your talent might be in debating.

For me I guess it's us, we apply the belief of talent on someone. They could have all the talent in the world but if we don't see it, to us they are talentless.

Anyone who can load a PC, record and mix an entire song from start to finish, with no actual mistakes (although that's a hard one to pin down), technically has talent, yet so many can do that now as we are so connected we see that as not talent.

Oh and i'm 35...
If only I charged money for each time I repeated what this thread was about, I could start sending out enough invoices to finance some bling-headphones for some poor millennial who has yet to discover good music

Not here to debate what talent is. Once again, looking for a causality discussion about symptoms and issues that have been described. Debating definitions of talent might indeed be a worthy discussion, why don't you create a thread about it? Hopefully it won't get beaten to death by folks unable to stay focused on your fundamental goals.

Sitting down and creating a song by yourself on a PC is a VERY different definition of "talent" than coordinating all musical efforts among bandmates, dealing with complex human dynamics and interpersonal relationships in the process, and still producing great music that you are able to play live pretty much flawlessly at any point in time. The latter was the caliber of band I was talking about. Doing anything by yourself is always a thousand times easier, and the net result is always a thousand times less rewarding. Consistently producing good music decade after decade with other bandmates is something very few modern "artists" will ever be able to dream about in their wildest fantasies, as they sit down to their own PC in their own little world of self-taught and self-proclaimed genius, falling back on Google searches whenever they can't figure something out.