View Single Post
Old 06.08.2015, 04:25 AM
New here
New here

I just ordered a Virus, so I can't say I'm an expert on that yet.

But I bought Serum early on, and have used it a lot (I have been using basically only that and Massive on tracks for quite a while now).

It is a great synth, but it has its own sound. From what I have heard of the Virus, it does not sound similar, even with the wavetables imported. It is not a particularly aggressive sounding synth (Massive is much more aggressive sounding, and that isn't saying a whole ton, but a bit).

People seem to be very interested in the wavetables thing. The ability to import wavetables is neat, but in practice you will never do it.

The best thing Serum has going for it are its filters (especially its range of filters). The basic oscs are slightly on the weak side imho.

Also, people forget, wavetables were actually invented as a poor-man's alternative to sampling, back when memory was too expensive/complicated for the storage for samples... to use to emulate sounds like horns and accordions and shit. Its my impression that the Virus is still one of the (if not the) most unique, most aggressive synths out there, and is still well worth the value over software, and I only use the soft synths I purchase.

For reference, my only other hardware synth is a Nord.