View Single Post
Old 13.08.2015, 01:04 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdos View Post
It's true. There's a guy on YouTube who has done some comparisons of the Viruses waveforms into a scope vs soft synths and notes how the soft synths produce "perfect" (eg boring) waveforms, and the virus produces ones that are more slightly bent like an analog synth does. It's that DSP.
I found that's actually not the case. On the Init patches on the Virus, Analog Boost (in the Effects section) intensity is set to 40 by default. This produces something similar to the sawtooth waveform of a Moog.

Remove this effect entirely, by dialling the Analog Boost intensity to zero, and you get your so-called 'perfect (boring)' non-bent, digital waveforms. Click for close-ups:-

Saw ^

Square (50:50 pulse) ^

Triangle (Wave #2) ^

As Analog Boost is in the effects section, though, I can only assume it is a post-process - placed at the end of the sound chain - rather than something that distorts the raw oscillators before they hit the filter section, etc. This is confirmed by sending an external audio signal (for example a sawtooth from another synth) into the Virus audio inputs and through the Analog Boost effect, you can distort the signal in exactly the same way.

Seems Analog Boost is basically an EQ strapped across the entire audio signal after it leaves the filter stage.

However I have found you can use it to add a little beef and create slightly more convincing old skool C64 SID sounds, et al. I digress.