View Single Post
Old 13.08.2015, 04:26 AM
New here
New here

That's interesting. I wonder if the guy in the video either didn't realize it was on, or what the discrepancy is here (in the video I recall he had a scope running and was comparing it to Spire I think). The guy is pretty sharp and has a ton of videos doing pretty interesting stuff I just assumed it was right, but don't recall now really seeing the patch setup. It was before I got one, too.

I will say, I wonder if it is possible that analog boost is more than a "post-processing" sort of effect (if you think about DSP, it would be cheaper to simply output a different waveform, and this would be very simple considering the synth can output any type of wave, including variable wavetables). Also think about how additive synths like Razor do their effects–basically everything is done at the oscillator level–including the filters, reverb, etc. So often that is the mode of thinking with DSP.

Regardless, I will say, I guess it only makes sense that it outputs a "digital" waveform (at least having the option) because the whole reason I and most people use digital synths is for a digital sound... That's the style of music after all. Sometimes I want a certain analog sound (like for a few select things at the oscillator level, and definitely at the filter level, which personally I think both the Virus and Serum are among the best at, as digital synths go, along with the Nords).