View Single Post
Old 11.09.2006, 09:06 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default Re: What's a good monitor these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jones
I've been using a pair of Mackie HR824s for a few years now and really need to trade them in - they're just too powerful (and insanely loud) for my new apartment (already had the neighbors banging on my floor). So I am looking for something in the same price rang (say between $1,000 and $1,500) that is smaller than the 824s, but that is known for very good translation and ultimately sound really well. Any suggestions?

Yep for definate, accurate as hell really and sound nice, the dynbaudio bm6a monitors are excellent. By the way a lot of people aggree that the mackie monitors are pretty accurate but the stupidly hyped bass and treble makes them hard on the ears after a couple of hours and the only way to get round the hyped bass and treble is to get shed loads of bass trapping and mid/high frequency absoption in your studio. It is possible to do accurate mixes on them but they are just good for cinema surround sound systems cos of the the stupid amount of bass and harsh treble.

I use to have some and loved them but after about 2 hours my ears ached and I couldnt get my songs to sound right using them so now i've got dynaudio bm15a monitors and they are just mackie eaters. They eat mackie monitors for breakfast and I can do a 10 hour studio session and my ears still won't ache at all. The dynaudio bmga's are like that in every way I think apart from the fact that the bm15a's go down to about 35hz and the bass is amazingly well controlled. God I love my bm15a's.

But the bm6a's are in your quoted price range.