Thread: Namm 2013
View Single Post
Old 02.02.2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I think Apple's got the best laptops out there, but not so much the desktops. Stability on the Mac is due to having a Unix foundation, the system is pretty much closed (just like a playstation) so there's probably no issues with drivers, all of that and viruses (the nasty ones) is a thing you don't have to worry about. Also, they don't load as many shit on startup as a windows computer would - if you're not carefull, of course.

But things have been changing a lot, and windows seven has got tons better. So I guess you should have a dedicate usb buffer for the Virus, even though there's more connections there, you need to check it they're sharing bandwidth, as plenty of times that's the case. And have your stuff connected elsewhere - that probably helps a lot on the issues people usually report. I'm saying this and I don't even own one, but it makes a lot of sense.

I think one of the Virus TI2 advantages, rather then having 16 channels playing at once, is the versatility of it - and just the fact that it stores the patches you make on a project, so as to recall them when needed or to use some inside-the-daw automation seems a great advantage over the C line. I don't think of it as a means for saving CPU, like you would with the Apollo... Of course having a software synth that sounds (nearly) as good, like the Diva will have your PC claiming for mercy with just a few instances of it - if you're running the divine settings, probably a lot faster then that even... But it seems it's very unlikely to make proper usage of the 16 channels and have them running in sync for preview or something, specially if you use complex patches - and who doesn't?

Most people I know that use the Universal Audio's plug-ins are really satisfied with it. But nowadays, I tend to avoid overloading the system in the first place. As I get projects that reach something like 180 tracks. So there's the need for compromising a lot, rendering stuff to audio and stuff like that. I sometimes even bounce the whole mix down, open another project, and build some stuff to mix in when I'm sure I want to use CPU intensive processing on some part. After it's done, I just add it to the mix. Logic's got the option for loading channels from other projects and all of that - a pretty good option!!! So I guess it also depends a lot on your workflow routines, being able to both improve the workflow and not get the system to struggle even with highly complex material.

If you buy a PC and take care of it, it takes more maintainance, just having to defrag the disk every once in a while and all, you'll probably be fine!

Cheers