View Single Post
Old 06.09.2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hi Synthman, I agree 100%.

I've long been campaigning for user wavetables, but larger user-PCMs would be phenomenal. The Korg Radias has onboard preset synth PCMs, but I have to say in this case I only tend to use three or four of them as the majority of them don't suit my music tastes. (However it also has one-shot drum PCMs on there, and I use these all the time.)
I would kill for the ability to actually overwrite the synth PCMs with my own, though, as it would be far more useful to me.

8MB flash ROM or a discreet insertable card (SD, MMC, or Compact Flash, etc.) for user-PCMs would be absolutely killer on a Virus. In addition to extensive personal creative use, it would also open up the possibility of creating/swapping/selling sample data sets for the Virus.

Sound-wise, I dare say it could make use of multi-sampling (to avoid aliasing or the chipmonk effect) for longer samples, but this would open up a whole new exciting and creative area for the Virus. Or you could use the samples as wavetables (with a wavetable designer inside Virus Control), or longer looped multi-samples, or one-shots (drums, etc.), the list goes on...

I'm fully with you.

In fact, the Korg Trinity's "PlayBack Sampler" option used 8MB of Flash ROM, and you could use it however you wished. - Be it for single-cycle waveforms (effectively wavetables), longer looped multisamples, or one-shots. It was very well implemented. Ironically I've multi-sampled various Virus patches and have imported the waveforms into my Trinity.

The official Korg soundsets also used proprietary 2:1 lossless compression ratios, effectively shoehorning 16MB of waveform data into the 8MB available space. Korg never publicly released details of their proprietary compression implementation, so the rest of us were limited to using 1:1 compression for user-created samples.

Welcome to the forum, btw.