View Single Post
Old 07.09.2008, 10:19 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthman1 View Post
Wait a min. If you store the samples on flash ram drive externally and connect it to the Virus, in theory, how would accessibility be any different than if you connected the flash drive to a computer to play mp3's or samples from it? The USB interface is 2 way communication, right? Maybe Access can clarify.
No, one is a master and one is a slave. The master gives power to the slave. When you plug your USB stick into the PC, the pc powers it.
I'm not saying that the virus cannot power the USB stick. I'm saying that the virus has the "slave" plug and because USB is a global standard for data communication between devices, I can't see access breaking this standard or releasing a new hardware revision with an extra usb port on.

Simply put.. USB memory sticks have the wrong socket and making a cable so it would fit could damage all other usb devices if accidently used on them.

Quote:

That’s why all 3 of my suggested options used other methods than internal storage include 2 option for using the audio inputs.
The virus would still need enough memory internally to buffer the audio because the USB memory sticks couldn't handle it.
Try copying lots of small files too and from a USB memory stick and watch it grind to a halt while you see a little bar update and copy files. This is what would happen if you hit a chord or played too fast.

Quote:
Not to over simplify this, unless Access can clarify, the virus is really a computer with modifiable software, essentially "a softsynth in a hardware host". Theoretically Access could rewrite the entire OS to make the Virus be something completely different if they choose to only limited to the amount of physical storage size for the OS.

This is how Access was able to add the Phaser effect in the B and the Moog filter in the C, right? It's just software, 1's and 0s.
Yes. In theory the virus is a hardware dongle for a softsynth. There shouldn't be any reason at all why you can't turn it into a DX7, a Supernova 2 , a Vari-os etc.

It boils down to the available spare memory inside the virus. The atomizer makes me believe that there isn't much left because it doesn't let you use really low BPMs or full bar looping.