View Single Post
Old 18.08.2013, 05:12 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
This is a thing that really puzzles me: if you go "down" (no smoke yet eheh) to Gear Slutz (I could say level just to catch the smoke, no? ok, level) you see perhaps hundreds (if not thousands) of threads either bashing on the Virus or insanely comparing it with just about anything or even a dumber virus vs pick your software synthesizer of choice, can even be an additive or a rom player like Nexus - minimum requirements don't mention using reason or any sort of specific knowledge, so as long as the Virus is the target everything will be fine.

Makes me wonder: how come it's always about the Virus?
I'll only comment on this part, because I think there's been enough drama around here lately already and I really don't want to be identified as a conduit for that. I think the answer to your question above primarily relates to cost per unit of the Virus versus what else is out there. One recurring theme you may have noticed from me in this thread is that the low cost of the UltraNova offsets its flaws.

Synth heads have a tendancy to be "technology" people, and with tech products you almost always see one of three things over a period of a decade or so: downward pressure on price, or a constantly improving feature set, or vastly improved performance (they are not mutually exclusive, you normally will see all three). Failing one of those, a product is bound to get some bad press. The nature of Internet communication mechanisms tends to be a cynical tone at best, even great products get lots of criticism, such that when someone has nothing but rosy things to say about a product, readers on tend to wonder if it's just Pollyanna-ism or in some cases whether the writer with rose colored glasses is shilling for the vendor in question. It's just changing times and the cynical nature of the Internet, and also improvements in lower cost soft-synths have probably taken their toll on all hardware manufacturers to some extent.