View Single Post
Old 08.01.2011, 09:03 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post
I like hardware because there's nothing like tweaking for an hour to find the sound in your head. I don't tweak software synths beause of the mouse point and click sadness.... So i find myself using some presets in this case.
I find I have so much more control with a mouse. Not for something like performing live, and for on-stage visual appeal it is no doubt a lot sexier to be seen tweaking knobs on a hardware synth. And there is a visceral element to it that is nice.

I do a certain amount of tweaking with the knobs on a Novation controller. Software like Novation Automap or just proper use of the DAW can make the need for mouse very minimal.

But, because I like the mouse, the whole physical layout of my setup is designed to make it easy to get to. I see some studios where the mouse is such an after thought that it looks painful to use... So I think if you dont want the mouse, get set up to use the controller knobs, its quite easy. But, for really fine control and things like drawing complex envelope segments or things like additive harmonics, it is way easier with a mouse than trying to use a tiny screen on the hardware.

But I understand how folks have different styles. I just hate to hear someone sticking with presets on softsynths when they are the type that are into sound design, as am I.