View Single Post
Old 07.01.2009, 04:08 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L View Post
What I think the most common "mistake" done by electronic music producers is that they don't know the capabilities of their synths. They lack the interest in experimenting with sound design and synthesis. It's mostly that super saw crap. What makes electronic music in somewhat unique is that the possibilities in sounds and soundscaping is immense! Take advantage of it, damn it!
Oh yes. It's amazing how many people can't do the basics of synthesis correctly. They tweak some patches in absynth/massive and it sounds good, but the don't really understand what they've done. Harmless enough in itself, but it's annoying when they then start making ill-informed comments about synth x's capabilities because they weren't able to get something great out of it in 5 minutes (and of course, someone else then reads this and takes it as gospel). I made an ambient track a few years back in Reason 1.0 that used nothing other than one instance of the (admittedly rather basic) 'Subtractor' synth and the standard (again v. basic) Reason FX units. I didn't reveal how I'd made the track. One individual who only days earlier had been saying how rubbish Subtractor was and how all Reason tracks sounded alike and were too thin, liked it and confidently said that he "could tell" the track was made with a few Absynth patches* and a real sample of someone snoring.

*so by definition, couldn't have been done in Reason.