View Single Post
Old 07.01.2009, 04:28 PM
Infektion taking hold...

re:ceri

squarepusher is an excellent example... though he is mostly a musician and producer. I didn't notice him using a turntable when I saw him live.

turntablists are also good examples of musicians as they require specific skills in real-time to play their music. I saw a video where dj swamp played "little bunny foo foo" using a record with a sine tone. he used the pitch slider on the turntable and lifted the needle up and down on the record.

re:juho

I agree that people making electronic music should learn the basics of music theory... especially the basics of chord progression. they should also...

read the "yamaha sound reinforcement handbook" - this is the best book on the basics of sound and electricity that I have seen

read the nord modular users guide - the manual for the original nord modular has excellent sections on the basics of synthesis and how to make the different synth components work together. the knowledge applies to any synth, not just the nord.

I personally never use preset synth sounds. I will use some sound effects library samples... and I use the akoustik piano plug-in... but I am huge into designing my own sounds from scratch. I'm certainly not the best sound designer... and some of the sounds may not be that great... but the good sounds that I make myself make me feel like a proud daddy!

http://www.themoodchannel.com