View Single Post
Old 29.01.2011, 03:29 PM
New here
New here

Default Definition of audio artifact

Hello to all. Let me begin by first saying thank you to all who have posted here, that I have learned from. I have been a hobbyist sound designer for over a decade and really enjoy the process of figuring out how to bring the sounds in my mind to life via analog and VA synths. It is a lot of fun for me. My recent purchase of a Virus KB led me here.

Having said that, I have noticed a few things along the way. Differences in sonic limitation (forgive me if this topic hasbeen beaten to death on the boards). My main discrepency is what happens to the sound when you tune an oscillator, and a waveform rich in harmonics, up past what some would consider "non-musical" values. I noticed that when I tune a square wave up and play higher notes using the KB's keyboard, that I hear these little artifacts in the audio. Like unwanted harmonics. I was wondering if this is what happens on all analog style keyboards, or just VA keyboards. Once upon a time I had a SC Pro One, but never thought to check the highest freqs for these things I am trying to describe.

I only notice this while using say, a square or saw waveform. I guess the best way to hear this is to set an LFO (sine) to modulate a Square osc. Value to 127, but real slow. Then you will clearly be able to hear this audio artifact at the pinnacle of the LFO's cycle. The purity of the waveform seems to come apart. Is this the waveform sample starting to show that it is indeed a sample? Is this what is refered to as 'digital aliasing'?

Other than this, the KB seems to excel at everything I push it to do. I know the filter doesnt self oscillate. I know it is digital. But the Kb bass seems to crush an acquaintance of mine's Moog. I have done a lot of "A/B-ing" with my Nordlead 2 that I've owned for 12 years, the nord seems to display less of this artifact I speak of with the KB, in those high freqs.

Anyway, I apologize for this long winded intro and question. I just wanted to give a thorough explanation. Thanks in advance

MR