View Single Post
Old 01.02.2013, 06:39 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Very clever. Was thinking something within the same lines, but thought there might be a shorter way to do it. Wouldn't think of raising the sample rate myself, but it's a very clever move.

About the fact the LFOS tend to alias at extreme settings, like you said, why do you think that happens? Something to do with aliasing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByfAuQPbv6k

look at this simple sound with the korg ms 20, sounds amazing even when the LFO's rate goes way fast... It's one of the things analogue does better indeed... And what usually happens, not only on the virus, but overall all things digital, is that it seems that you loose the high frequencies a bit, right? (I'm thinking like the sound on the video, a self oscillating filter, the analogue if we're speaking virus here, modulated by the lfo, say with a triangle wave, real fast, there's a point where you feel that it's struggling to cope with what you're doing, almost like a frontier). Would it be better if I raised the sample rate to record such a thing? Never tried it...

Also, the Blofeld for example has LFOs that go into the audio range, and it would be cool if someone here could do the test and see if there's some stepping noticeable enough to ear, by modulating the rate of it with a slow evolving envelope, for example... 'Cause it makes sense.

EDIT would have to be adjusted manually to notice the midi steps, so maybe record both and post here would be cool (come on blofeld owners out there!!)

About that, I always like to record my digital synths in audio whenever possible, I always feel like automation recorded gets some of the natural feel away, an effect within the same lines here...But for software, while I'm at it, that runs inside the daw, does it also translate everything to 127 positions? Or does it happen only when using midi?

Sorry for all the questions eheh