View Single Post
Old 01.02.2013, 10:22 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Always wished for faster LFOs on the the Virus for modulation purposes. They also tend to alias a lot at the extremes.

Incidently I wondered how fast the LFOs actually were in my Indigo the other night, after reading that the Prophet 12 LFOs went up to 4KHz, and after doing a quick test the Indigo appeared to only manage a mere 93Hz (aka 0.093KHz) at the maximum rate of 127. That said, the Korg Radias can only match a similar amount (100Hz, aka 0.1KHz).

I wonder how Access could avoid compromising classic Virus sounds if they ever decided to update the LFOs to allow them to run at a faster rate in new Virus releases. I mean, if they simply updated their LFOs to be able to run faster, both the compatibility and character of previous patches would be broken making them sound very different. It's almost like a straitjacket for them.

The only way I thought about pulling it off intuitively was if they could allow you to use two sets of ranges via a sub menu, so the 'classic' rate-range is always enabled and in use (from 0.01Hz to 93Hz or whatever it is), but you can change to a new, higher rate-range via a switch option in the menu (0.01Hz to 4KHz). That said, you're still restricted to 128 discrete values (regardless of interpolation), so the gaps between each step would be coarse given the range is much larger. You could type in a discrete value via Virus Control, but it wouldn't be MIDI friendly (i.e. achievable using the 128 midi steps available).

Or maybe you could choose from several ranges, such as 0.01-93Hz for classic mode, 90-500Hz for mid-range mode, and 0.5-4KHz for high-speed mode. Bit of a bummer if you want to sweep from 0.01Hz to 4KHz in one fell swoop though.

I wonder how DaveSmith implemented such a large range for MIDI purposes. His knobs might be high resolution, but MIDI isn't.

I digress! (Again)
Cool stuff, Timo!
The DSI Prophet 12's midi specs are not posted anywhere I can find and perhaps oscillator knows this from DSI Forum, however DSI website does not have really ANY tech specs posted other than general product info and a few videos we mostly have all seen.
Speaking of LFO's and Dave Smith---the Evolver Series only have a handful of midi transmit/rec'v parameters, with overwhelming majority being totally sysex and wanted to post this fact as I look at the DSI mono evolver keyboard's paper manual in front of me, (you can download the Evolver Keyboard Manual--applies to whole series aside from obviously a different manual for PolyEvolver because it has the added "combo-mode", yet the specs for LFO's and such remain same in entire evolver series http://davesmithinstruments.com/down...Manual_1.3.pdf
Hope this link works for the up to date manual I am looking at. (my studio is inbetween a state of decontruction/construction as came up with better ergonomic set-up or would oblidge the "come on Blofeld Owners for related test with lfo's)
On page 49 and 50 of evolver keyboard manual, parameter 40 thru 47 relate to the LFO's. Dave Smith elsewhere in manual states sysex was used rather than standard midi for majority of parameter because he NEEDED higher range than 0-127 in order to AVOID any stepping in parameter changes real-time. On page 49 you see parameter 40 for LFO, he used Range of 0-150 for UNsynced lfo freq and 151-160 for sync'd up to 16 cycles PER STEP. LFO Amount on both lfo 1 and 2 a range of 0-200, with amounts over 100 repeats with Key Sync On.

Those examples alone wanted to share for now because since the DSI Prophet 12 is a hybrid of best of Evolver, Tempest, Pro 08, and new developments, am actually wondering if indeed it will be ALL midi-able 100% send/rec'v. By the way, the Evolver parameters of course remain the same regardless if having original encoder version or the newer PE version for keyboard models and parameter values are same with the Desktop Evolver as well.
It must be in Anu Kirk's "Definitive Guide to The Evolver" where I read about why sysex was used for extended values needed as to ensure pretty much everything is able to be modulated with/by anything, without having zipper noises whilst changing parameters.
Thought you might find this interesting!
Great "synth-Sleuthing" Timo, on the Virus' LFO's and shall we assume your findings are same thoughout the Virus A,B,C range, since relatively same engine, except for the Ti Series?
Will try to get my equipment and set-up done thru weekend and may be up to Wed of coming week as have a KILLER root canal gone bad and cannot get into Dentist until Feb 5...it's seriously imposed on my creativity as it's pain to close to the BRAIN!! EEEK!