View Single Post
Old 02.02.2013, 01:49 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Cool stuff, Timo!

Dave Smith elsewhere in manual states sysex was used rather than standard midi for majority of parameter because he NEEDED higher range than 0-127 in order to AVOID any stepping in parameter changes real-time.
Interesting. I think the Virus probably works within the same lines, here. That's one of the reasons I don't like to rely on midi automation much, and always go for live recording of tweaking instead, whenever possible. Also, there's MIDI with better resolution then the good old 8 bit with just 127 steps, there's the evolution of that with 14 bit range - and I think most modern MIDI controllers have that.

So I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be a problem to have such a huge range on the LFO

EDIT - it would mean 16384 steps with 14bit MIDI.

And I think (not sure though) that something like Automap (the protocol for software control, of course) is capable of even more steps then that (can't test right now), I'm saying that because I have changed the number of points many times, to get the knobs responding with the speed I need - quite handy, while not changing the resolution, you can actually do that and it smooths it out nicely, this is definitely the thing I like best about this controllers...