View Single Post
Old 28.08.2013, 11:14 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Thought I'd give everyone an update. While the active USB 2.0 extension does work (sort of) it consistently loses communication with the system. To resolve this I have to unplug and reconnect the USB cable on the rear of the TI2. Beyond that it is not properly sync'ing the patch browser with the keyboard (i.e. names are not sync'ing up).

I had a long discussion with Access about what to do and their answer was "there's nothing you can do". They want you to use the shortest possible USB 2.0 cable with no hubs/extensions.

So, either I redesign my control room (not going to happen), I live with how it's working with the extension (not great), or every time I want to use the keyboard with the software control, I need to move the keyboard really close to the computer.

I love this thing so it might be worth it to pickup a TI2 desktop and put it on the floor next to the computer. Seems silly they can't figure out how to make it work over 25ft in stable form.
Bummer. I was happy to hear your initial story of success, and also quite surprised, but I opted out of indicating such due to some other issues going on in the forums and I was afraid I would be perceived as bashing Access on the USB cable length. Silently I was predicting this would not work out well long-term, and I'm disappointed to hear I was right.

The problem here, however is not in Access' implementation USB, it is the USB specification itself. There is no way you can increase the distance of a cable without increasing latency; it doesn't mean it won't work some of the time but in a latency intensive scenario like streaming audio, especially at USB 1.1, the odds seem not in favor of longer cords. The limitations of USB are much like cable delay properties of copper wire itself. There's some reading on the subject here if interested : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Cabling