View Single Post
Old 29.08.2013, 01:15 AM
Pro
Pro

This might be a 'slight curve in road' but still on-topic with USB cable lengths. Very early Summer bought new USB audio interface that would have a lot of inputs, front level controls for each main input, and with future option of adding more via optical ADAT, which is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (USB version of Sapphire 40), and to my surprise, they only included a 3 Foot USB A/B 2.0 cable with unit. It is A/C power dependant, not USB. Mind you, it's RACK MOUNTED, so not *everyone* is going to have their computer configuration to rack synths/equipment that crazy close! Plus, it's a full, one unit, and DEEP unit, and with majority of ins/outs on rear, only makes sense to have this in my top rack space, which is about forehead level of my sitting, 5.8' Anglo-Saxon self.
Yes, could place my tower DAW PC on top of desk beside it but not exactly ergonomic.
Both Sweetwater and Focusrite communications (both were very helpful) informed me at least with the 18i20, to *never* exceed 15 foot length and they know that 10 feet worked great with nothing added as far as latency, etc. So that's what I have done and the length of 10 feet is absolutely perfect with no negative effects on latency, perceived or otherwise.

Thought this would be germane as far as lengths of USB and my rather recent experience with studio nexus.