View Single Post
Old 30.08.2013, 04:26 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

First off a few corrections/updates:
  1. The TI2 is USB 2.0 not 1.1
  2. The max spec length of a single non-active USB 2.0 cable is 16.5ft
  3. Active USB extensions are made so that the signal transmits over longer lengths without loss (at least the good ones). Will there be an increase in latency, perhaps, but it should be fairly negligible when we're only talking about 25ft (only 9ft over the max spec of non-active cabling).

That all being said, and having been in both the pro audio and technology industries for many years, I would say that it is the software that is the issue. I'll explain why.
  • If I can plug in the USB cable with the extension and achieve flawless playback with no discernible increase in latency, why is it losing communication after not being used for a few hours?
  • Why can I play the unit just fine, have it sync with the USB clock, and have it automatically (through the plug-in) pull up the correct patch(s) yet it won't show me the proper names in the software (but it will on the hardware)?

I truly love the Virus and when you have the TI2 close enough to the computer and on its own USB bus, at least with PT|HD, it works flawlessly. This is also one of the reasons we are an Access dealer. I own and use a TI2 Keyboard personally and wanted to ensure that the joy I get from this instrument is also offered to our customers.

My problem is that if one of the big plusses is going to be software integration, perhaps working on issues such as these would be in order. Most pro studios have a separate machine room where the length would need to be far greater than the 25ft I am dealing with. Even if Access came out with their own USB extension solution, that they developed with their software to ensure rock solid reliability, I would buy it in a heartbeat. At that point they could say, no 3rd party solutions will be supported, and honestly I wouldn't have an issue with that, even if their solution was a bit expensive.
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

AudioLot is an authorized Access dealer

Follow us on Facebook for weekly gear specials and the latest news