View Single Post
Old 04.11.2008, 08:16 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
What synths are you refering to? Lowcuts are typical for Audio-DACs, it's typically not possible to send send DC-Signals trough them. When it comes to the level, if the SNR and bandwidth is fine, I don't mind if the output signal isn't that hot.
I am referring to every digital synth I've owned, about 8 all up. Low cut to reject DC is one thing, but I think it affects the clearly audible low freqeuncies say around 60Hz or higher. Let's just keep it to the TI, it definitely does this. BTW when I suggested the analog stage was weak, I meant it in the sense that it is the weakest quality link, not that the output level was low.

Quote:
Well, major problems would be audiable, noise and interference wise.
You previously posted that subtle differences in pro audio DACs have audible effects: if synth manufacturers are not treating the post DAC analog stage like pro audio, then its no wonder. Its irrelevant to me (its making its own sounds not reproducing anything) but I thought it was reinforcing your point of view.

Quote:
It's surely not 192khz, otherwise this would be an option S/P-DIF wise. Wouldn't make much sense anyway, unless one is making music for bats, cats or dogs afaik only the filter calculation would benefit from a sampling rate above 48khz.
Higher than 48KHz would also help in calculating the waveforms - sharp edges and lower aliasing.

I thought we were pretty much in agreement, so I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to disagree with me here.

B