View Single Post
Old 23.09.2008, 06:19 PM
New here
New here

Default Virus b problems - OS won't boot, LCD glitches, LFO led's light up - common problem

OK, I have an issue with my Virus b.
I was checking on Ebay for broken Virus b's and found 2 people in the last month selling them with the exact same problem.

1. Turn it on
2. The LCD comes up with the startup screen (OS 4.1 etc...). Then it starts glitching and resetting continuously. The brightness of the LCD also sort of glitches birghter/darker etc..
3. The LFO LED's are lit. Nothing else works/lights up.
4. It never boots, so there's no way to reset the Virus etc..
5. Turn it off/on again and does it all over again. One out of 40 times it actually starts up and works.

I figure it's something about the power supply not getting the DSP good power, or it's not getting a good clock signal and it keeps trying to re-boot. Or I guess sonem other bad connecton somewhere.
Since I've seen two people with the exact same problem in the last month alone this must be hapenning to a lot of people so it must be a flaw somewhere, maybe a component in the power supply going bad or something.

Here's what I've tried.
1. Powered the unit with a bench supply up to 15v to see if it works when given clean power up to 15v DC. Didn't help.
2. Checked the connectors. This is not the problem since it should boot-up without the front panel board or LCD even hooked up. The problem is on the mainboard somewhere. Everything there looks fine. No visually bad parts or connections.

If anyone has any experience with this or can offer any suggestions I'd be grateful. Access didn't offer any advise aside from referring me to my local repair shop:

Advanced Musical Electronics
8665 Venice Blvd,
Los Angeles, CA 90034
(310) 559-3157

I'd like to fix it myself before paying someone else.

Brian.