View Single Post
Old 04.02.2004, 10:49 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

First, I should say that I have never used the TDM version of the Virus. So I don't have experience there. (Also, of course, I haven't used the Powercore version). But I've used (and OWN) the C desktop, Kb, and Rack Classic (don't ask why I have so many, I just like them).

In earlier posts, I expressed my distaste for the fact that the Powercore is on a proprietary system. I guess the main reason behind this is that I've been very pleased with the Access products I own; and while I would really enjoy tinkering with the new Powercore version, the fact is that I just don't need the Powercore card at all, and so there's no motive for me to try the software plug-in. In all honesty, I hope that it sounds great; and I hope it sounds identical to the Virus B, which is what it should sound like if I understood Ben correctly.

I use a combination of hardware/software in the studio; and I own plenty of each. I usually tend to stay away from soft-synths; with the exception of Absynth, which I believe to have a very unique sound and interface (BUT oh my god, you'd think they could write a stable version for once). I've always been really impressed by the entire Virus series; and so if it were affordable for me to purchase the software version, I would do it; but since I really don't need the Powercore, I can't justify the investment for a product that I already own so many versions of

I guess I haven't really arrived at a point yet; and this one probably doesn't folllow from what I've been saying. But the Novation example was an important one for me: particularly the new Basstation soft-synth. In one of the current magazines, I think it's computer music, this new soft synth is tested; and the tester was comprehensive enough to play the same sequences through both the soft an hardware versions of the Basstation. I was utterly surprised when there was a clear, audible difference between the two. The hardware version was identifiably brighter, fatter, and more robust (even though the audio examples were intended to show the similarities between the two). I A-B'ed the examples several times, and even had my friend who knows nothing about music or synths have a listen. We both agreed that the hardware sounded better. I really hope that the software version of the Virus sounds the same as the hardware version; and I'm looking forward to some opportunity to verify this, because I've always liked Access as a company and thought their products were superior to their competitors.

Sorry to have rambled seemingly mindless drivel for so long......

pan