View Single Post
Old 01.06.2017, 04:45 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Hey Timo, thanks a lot for your detailed explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
And yes, given Analog Boost is in the effects section of the Virus, it is applied by default to any external audio that is injected into the audio inputs on the Virus too. So remove it from the signal path entirely by simply turning its intensity down to 0 for any given patch.
Great tip. The "Character" section is easily forgotten. And it also provides some characters which remove bottom, or add top end to the sound. But it doesn't sound like just an EQs. Some settings even broaden the stereo width or simulate a rotor cabinet. Maybe the Virus' "Character" effect is the very first application of the Kemper Profiling Amp technology?

Anyway, I've never thought that the Virus sounds dull or is incapable of producing sparkling or crisp sound (which is proven by your diagrams). But looking at a spectral analyzer, I found that FM of higher pitched notes does not produce all the partials you'd expect, and I think that this is really to prevent excessive aliasing.
So it might really depend on the type of oscilllators, filter settings, and effects, how much top end the Virus produces.